I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help needed from weave masters
Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:03AM

Hi again,

I want to try to make a weave to my next rod. Problem is that i know the basic method to do the weave, but dont have a clue how to make a layout of the weave itself. So is there anyone here who could help me with this. The picture I thought to put into my rod is here [www.rakennustaiteenseura.fi]

I use only one colour in weave, so you can ignore the red background. The blank color is white, so another problem is colour of threads. If I use white as a wrapping thread and use deep blue as weave colour, does the blue grow badly trhough white if I use CP on it? If it does, then I use deep blue as a wrapping thread and for the weave i use maybe silver...

If you can help me in this, please post here or send me an email to antti.kymalainen@pp1.inet.fi or add this address to your msn...

Thank you,

Antti Kymäläinen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help needed from weave masters
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:35AM

Doc Ski will be away for another week and a half or so; if you want, email him and he'll get back to you when he returns.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:32AM

Antti, I can mess around with it later this evening but need to know the thread count that you want. How many threads wide do you want the pattern?

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.dhcp.inet.fi)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:53AM

Well Mick,

First thanks for offering your help :)

Second, about wideness you asked, hmmmm, is something around 40 enough, if not then add/distract some, I trust your judgement in this. The blank I'm placing it is white and butt diameter is 13.2mm/0,519 inch when measured at the back end of rod. I'd like to place the wrap top of the blank so i can see the wrap fully when looking above the blank. Hope you got the idea.....

Still needing secon opinion about the color choice i posted above....

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:00AM

This pattern can be done easily using pcstitch. The size will depend on the blank circumference, the detail you want in the crest or the type of weaving jig you have and how many threads it can hold. The best detail will require around 150 design threads but a decent pattern can be made with 100 design theads and 5 colors to do the whole Crest.

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.dhcp.inet.fi)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:42AM

Jim,

I want to keep this wrap simple like colors on the rest of the rod: only blue, white and silver. Therefore I want use only one colour in weave. I have never weaved anything, so maybe i dont even want to start with color change. I cant afford any fancy weaving device at the moment, so going to build one for my by myself. Where this pcstich can be purchased, if I like the first wrap, then maybe it's wise to get that to me as well along with some weaving tool...

Like you can see i didnt guess even close amount of threads needed for this job. Hence I (like many other rodbuilders) really appreciate the help one can get from here. So Mick, double the treads i mentioned on previous post :) :)

Later this week I'll make a post about how to make a fly rod handle of birch bark. Time to give here something coz i have got so much from here for myself....

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:07PM

Antii,
I also use PCStitch to design all my weaves. I don't know if Mick uses it not but would be glad to help with the design if needed. Randy.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:51PM

I use Adobe Photoshop for puter patterns. Takes a little set up time at first, but once it is set up, it goes pretty easy. If you want to use white, I'd go with NCP or even HT pearl. Silver would be a good choice too. Birchbark huh? That would make for a very cool looking grip.

Date: November 30, 2005 12:42AM

I just received a pattern from J. Upton and it's very very good. Really appreciate all of your help in this. New it's all up to me, how I can finish this thing....

Yes Mick, from birch bark you can make a very very nice handle, it is ready, just need to put decal in the rod on the weekend and then I'll take some pictures and post them here with workflow how i ended the result i got. I'm very pleased with it and I'm positive that when I post it here, it will encourage some of you to try it as well. It's not hard to make it, but maybe a bit time consuming :)

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 04:09PM

Antti; I f you have questions when you get ready to start your weave post them on this board and we will try and help.

Date: December 01, 2005 12:56AM

OK, I will Jim....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster