I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts on Upside down spinning guide?
Posted by: Russell Blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 09:36PM

Was just reading about a new Megabass spinning rod that they are producing for Aaron Martens(BASS pro) and they are saying that wrapping the stripper guide upside down aids in casting?? Anyone ever tried this?? If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures I ran across it on tackletour.com............

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on Upside down spinning guide?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:08PM

What do you mean by "upside down?" You mean on the opposite side of the rod? That certainly won't help casting, it will hinder it.

Or do you mean wrapping it on in the opposite direction? If this is what you mean, then no, it will have no effect on casting whatsoever. A properly sized guide, properly located, can be wrapped on in either direction and it will not change a thing. The line is concerned with the ring, not whether or not the legs face one way or the other. And line should only contact a small portion of the ring. 2 legs, 5 legs, facing one way or the way, makes no difference. The line passes through the guide ring and is not concerned with which way the frame is facing. The ring will present the same opening no matter which way you face the frame.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:21PM

Talk about marketing!!! Unbelievable! They claim that by turning the butt guide around with the leg facing the tip, the casting performace is greatly enhanced (especially with superlines) because the ring is now closer to the reel. Can you believe it!!!!!! Just moving the guide an inch closer would accomplish the exact same thing.
[tackletour.com]

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2005 10:22PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:27PM

I read that too, and I think it's crap. With the conventional setup I have never seen the line slap into the guide legs, even of surf rods.
Plus it looks even weirder than a spiral wrap. Don't see this one catching on: it didn't come to the market from us, did it? Funny how the Japanese manufacturers have started putting them on everything from deep jigging sticks (Daiwa Saltiga) to bass spin sticks (Megabass Orochi Aaron Martens). What a load!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:39PM

Only difference I can see is the ring tilts toward the buttt rather than the tip although that can easily be changed by carefully bending the frame.Still dont see how that can be an advantage.May have to mock one up and cast for a good laugh.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2005 10:40PM

If the line is hitting the frame, then the guide is not properly located or is the wrong size.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 11:07PM

All I got to say is Now I have seen every thing, Marketing ? that's just plain B S

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 06:09AM

I agree with Bill it is just marketing hyp. As long as the line does not hit the striping guide it just works like any guide, no matter what direction the foot faces
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:06AM

That is so absurd that I do not really know how to comment except to say BOOOOOGUS.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:36AM

Well you know that it will hook enough people into buying the rod with the claims being made.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:13AM

Thoughts? First and last are HA-HA-HA!!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:24AM

The sad thing is if they hype it up enough they just may sell a lot of them ????

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:46AM

Forget the backwards mounted guide ..........

This is a 6'10" medium light, drop-shot spinning rod, with Ti guides and weighs in at an obese 4.2oz! Sure is pretty though and there are folks who will gladly pay $405 based purely on the bling bling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2005 12:18PM by Joe Hepp.

Posted by: Grant Darby (164.116.100.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:55AM

Maybe someone at the off shore factory made a mistake and put on a few hundred guides backwards!!! Rather than scrap them or pay to take them back and redo it, some genius came up with a marketing plan!!! I should have thought of that when I epoxy a tip top on the wrong way, or an upside down reel seat. A silk purse out of a sow's ear.....who woulda thought!!!

Date: November 29, 2005 12:05PM

They will probably leave them out for maybe a year and see if they sell.
Some one at the factory like said had a party the night before and came in with a hang over ??!!

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:59PM

Looks about as necessary as one of them upside-down Christmas trees to me....LOL

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Date: November 29, 2005 01:12PM

Hay I got one of them ??!! LOL No not really.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:38PM

Hey I would like to see one of those rods at a sports and talk to the sells rep. eye ball to eye ball. An have him explain the Quantom Phyics behind this design, that makes it cast fathur LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster