I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titebond 3
Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.170.---)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:54PM

Can anyone give me some information on titebond 3 or its glue type, I am trying to source this glue here in Australia, so far without any luck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titebond 3
Posted by: Sam Schalley (70.231.224.---)
Date: November 27, 2005 06:53PM

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but this link lists the physical properties:
[www.titebond.com]

- Sam

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 08:43PM

Myles,
I have not tried Titebond. I started using Weldbond Universal Adhesive to glue my cork rings. It is great and leaves no glue lines. And I use water for the clean up. I have even used it for installing EVA grips. Weldbond is white and looks like Elmer's and dries clear.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 09:43PM

Myles What ever bonding agent you use I recomend one that is a slow cure and is curied chemicly.. The ones that are air curried like the ones for wood products well not set up. Like when used in bonding reelseat to bank and cork to blank. I also recommend using one that is a slow cure.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.94.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 11:26PM

If you are using Rod Bond for your seats and handles, use it for your rings also. You don't need much at all and i find no lines when pressed together " tight ". Maybe you are using too much and not tightening the rings enough.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 02:37AM

Myles,

I too have been trying to find a source forTitebond III in Sacramento, California with no results. I currently use FC 2 part expoxy with no problems, but I still want to try Titebond III. I've read a lot of good things about it in this phorum. I found several websites that sell it and think I'm going to buy it on-line. You too might want to do the same, if the postage is not too bad.

Good luck in your search.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Date: November 28, 2005 05:34AM

I also use Rod Bond on cork rings. I put a thin coat on each ring and leave about a 16th of a inch from the edge of the ring and clamp tight. I get no glue line this way.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rob Heaton (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: November 28, 2005 05:41AM

Myles
I'm into wood as well
[www.timbecon.com.au]
Not a cheap glue but it comes with big wraps (pun intended)
This mob is in West Ox - don't know of any QLD outlet
Robert

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 09:20AM

Myles & Rich,
Dont't know about Australia or California but here in Mississippi both Lowes & Home Depot carry Titebond.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 28, 2005 12:54PM

Bob (Balcombe)
I have to politely disagree with you, as I have been using Titebond II for years, and now Titebond III with fantastic success in both fresh and saltwater applications. Yes it may take slightly longer for the air cure glues to dry, but they do dry 100%. If your talking about gluing a reelseat/handle to a blank, then sure I agree 100% with you that a 2 part agent like rodbond is a much better choice. But that's a whole different animal than gluing cork rings together. Ralph O'Quinn and I have had many ,many conversations about the Titebond family of glues, and he agrees that it is a faboulous technology for this application

Titebond III is THE perfect adhesive for gluing cork rings together. It is cheap, requires no mixing, leaves no lines and is 100% waterproof. The WeldBond Ellis mentioned is awesome as well. I know Russ at GoldenWitch uses TiteBond as do many of the bamboo guys on their cork handles also

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Date: November 28, 2005 03:26PM

Hi Andy I take no offence on using tight bond for just gluing rings. My comment was directed at glueing reelseat to a blank or cork to a blank. This is where you need a chimerical cure.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:18AM

Sam,

I have tried Homedepot, Lowes, Walmart, Michael's and every other store I thought might have Titebond III with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rich

Posted by: John Campbell (---.ipnets.xtra.co.nz)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:42AM

Andy, would you be able to stock titebond III for all us sinners who can't get it!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:13AM

Hey John I found it here in OZ so you would be able to get it in NZ. Carbatec in Brisbane sells it, just check out a wood workers shop they would have to be over there. It cost about $20 AUD for a 475mm bottle. You can get bigger.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:56AM

You can get bigger.
but only if ya eat a lot...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.111.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:50AM

i got my titebond at an independent, "local" hardware store in the paint/adhesive section. maybe the big corporate chain shops don't carry it as well.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:00PM

Thanks for that Myles, I am sure you are right.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:49PM

Hey, Rich, mail order Titebond III from Rockler:

[www.rockler.com]

I also think I saw it at the Ace Hardware on Stanford Ranch Road in Rocklin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster