I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Living right or just lucky!
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 04:53PM

I wove initials on a friends rod yesterday, coated it , and after putting a decal of his name on the reverse side of the weave , put a final coat of finish on this am at 8am.
After the Chargers won in overtime today at about 115, I went down to turn off my dryer and saw that at sometime, somehow it had fallen off the narrow workbench where is has sat unmolested for many years and was upside down on the floor. The rod, which is a 10' ulua, was still turning in the dryer with the rod tip jammed against the door jamb on an angle. I shut off the dryer, removed the rod, checked for damage to the rod or weave and determined that everything was ok. Must have been my lucky day!! Only problem is I don't know why it happened so I put two 5# sinkers on the dryer base to hold it-hopes that works. God watches out for old guys......

Now I plan to watch the Seahawks stomp all over Eli and the Giants. I actually like the Giants but we in San Diego will never forgive Eli for snubbing us!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Living right or just lucky!
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:06PM

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy....The Rod Gods were surely looking after you. That's for sure because you are way over the hill and I'm sure they (the Rod Gods) practice a certain degree of leniency in cases like yours. I'm guessing 10#s should hold it.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: November 27, 2005 05:19PM

Must be nice to be lucky. If that happened to me the tip would have broke and blank would have a permanent set in it. P.S. What are people using the Ulua's for? Jig rods in SoCal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2005 05:22PM by Phil Richmond.

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 06:13PM

Wow are you lucky! I'll bet your toast always lands butter side up if you drop it on the floor:) Glad that you got lucky on this one, it would have been a mess to fix.

Jim Smith

Date: November 27, 2005 06:20PM

duplicate post, must be a software glitch, I couldn't have hit the buttom twice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2005 08:22PM by Jim Kastorff.

Date: November 27, 2005 06:20PM

The rod belongs to the chef on the long range sportfishing boat EXCEL based in San Diego on which I fish alot. The crew gets perverse pleasure out of hooking jig fish on long rods and then handing off to unsuspecting anglers who then get worked bigtime if not familiar with fighting fish on long rods!! They can really get distance on a jig with that long of a rod-great for yt and small tuna.
Several years ago on another long range boat one of the crew hooked a 100# bft on his 9' jig stick and handed off to a Navy seal who really got worked but being in super physical condition eventually landed the fish. Everybody stopped fishing and watched and cheered the guy as he struggled but he won and landed the brute.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 06:52PM

You're Living right!!!!!..........if the Rod Gods saw terrible behavior in your lifestlye, the rod would be stuck to the floor,weave side down. If that were the case, you'd file it under very bad luck, and not even question Lifestyle. Re-weaving initials with a cloud of doom and rage hanging over your head.

"Mildrumadeus", "Aftcocious", and "Fugettta" are more powerful than you think! LOL.

Date: November 27, 2005 07:23PM

Phil; To answer your question some of the guys use the longer rods on the rail. The roll of the boat and the action of the longer rod really work a fish.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 07:26PM

Oops; duplicate post...

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2005 07:28PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 07:27PM

Jim K, you are a lucky dog!! (You know you don't "live right" LOL!).

I've always placed a weight that I molded in a cast iron egg poacher on my rod rests and dryer bases. I did it more because I'm always bumping things around reaching for stuff and it helped minimize movement when I goof up like that (rubber feet on the bottoms of all along with the weights really help).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 07:42PM

I use old scuba weights left over from the diving days to weight my dryers down.
Stan

Date: November 27, 2005 08:19PM

Hey Jimbo, maybe you guys up north use 10' rail rods but I've never seen that use for them down here. That is strickly a jig rod and I believe the longest Seeker makes.

PS-Eli did get stomped

Posted by: Tom Kelly (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2005 09:23PM

Hey Jim, what are you doing with that long rod? Don't ya know old guys can hurt themselves just holding one of those?

Tom

"PS-Eli did get stomped"... and a pretty sight it was.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 10:21PM

Interesting... never realized anyone used a rod that long on the rail.

Perfect example of my luck:

Tonight, finish the last rod I'm going to do before I leave for Japan. My household stuff is getting picked up this week. So I'm trying to clean things up before the movers get here. I reach for a pair of dikes that are over the spinning rod on the dryer, the whole time thinking "I probably shouldn't be doing this... but its just a pair of dikes, what can happen."

What I don't see is the silver metallic A thread stuck to the handle of the dikes, and before I know what's happened, the 30 stripper guide catches the thread and spins it right off the spool still laying on the other side the bench, pulls it off the dikes, and around a nice, perfectly wet guide foot. Although not wet enough to fix itself or use heat to fix.

Will have to do damage control tomorrow, shouldn't be anything another coat won't fix, but perfect example of my "luck."

:)

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 28, 2005 03:07AM

Jim, I'm glad it turned out all right. I had one come off the dryer once, and when I went down in the basement to check on it, and saw the blank on the floor my heart jumped into my throat. It was for a freind, and very important to me. You are definitly smiled upon. My wrapper and dryer are lag bolted onto antique sewing machine tables, and the dryer has new, big inline skate wheels. Nothins goin anywhere. Probably shouldn't say that.... Levi

Date: November 28, 2005 06:30PM

Just to make things clear I don't use a 10 foot rod. Too old as Jim suggests. However I was at the Seeker plant looking at their new blanks and part of the conversation was about how some of the guys use of the Ulua rods on the rail.

Date: November 28, 2005 07:47PM

To try and clarify, the Ulua and any other rod for that matter can use the rail in fighting a fish and many guys using the 10' Ulua end up putting on the rail if they hook a larger fish. But Seeker specfically makes "rail rods" that are designed for fighting big tuna on the rail and the longest is 6'3" I believe. The Ulua is mainly here for throwing iron a long ways(young or real strong guys only)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster