I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carolina Rig
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 05:51PM

have a guy that wants a rod for Carolina rigging (whatever that is!). Wants min of 7'. mid price range. asked if extendable filppin sticks were suitable. I was thinking maybe SCII or SCIII but I have no idea what makes a good Carolina rig rod. I don't know suitable action, power or anything else about Carolina rig rods.

All input would be appreciated.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carolina Rig
Posted by: Warren Witkowski (---.nwlnnh.tds.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 06:24PM

You would want a 7 1/2 - 8 foot medium-heavy action rod, a fairly sensitive handle area so the angler cound feel the sinker being dragged across the bottom. It would also have to take a hard hook set. A Carolina Rig is an egg sinker weighing anywhere from 3/8 oz. up to 1 oz. (the average is around 1/2 oz) rigged with a swivel above the sinker and at least 3-4 feet of line before the hook, sometmes up to 6 feet. The rig is dragged across the bottom ,fishing stumpy or rocky areas. When they feel a strike they usually let slack out and point the rod toward the bass, then rear back about as hard as they can to get a good hook set..

Hope that this gives you a good idea of what you need.

Warren.

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 06:28PM

Mike,

This isn't very specific but I use the same rods for Carolina rigging that I use for plastic worm fishing - Medium or Medium Heavy Fast Action. I'd think either one of those St Croix blanks would work out good I'm sure. A lot depends I suppose on where he fishes as far as what lure weight & line weight he'd want. But, from my experience, you want something with exceptional feel for a Carolina Rig rod.

Maybe you just need to branch out a bit from those walleyes and do some more bass fishing!

Posted by: Nicholas Christie (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 07:52PM

Well, ask him what type of fish, what type of structer, and how much he wants to feel the fish. i have fished for about 11 years, and these are all things you need to consider when fishing. for winter time, the fish bite very softly, so he will have to be able to feel it hit every peble in the whole lake. so a med action, and for fun i would choose a med rod. but thats just my personal preference.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2005 08:07PM

I build rods used for fishing 3/8 - 1/2 oz leads with live bait or plastics trailing behind for bass and saltwater inshore. I have built a lot on IMB 843 Rainshadows and have moved up to the 844 & a few 845 for some of the rod breakers. The blank is determined by the technique and the weights utilized.

Gon

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 08:08PM

I built myself a StCroix IV (4C76MHMF) FOR Carolina riggin and muskie baits, PERFECT and it's a 1+1 blank like he mentioned. However I turned mine into a 1 piece because I know I'd never use that option. The only thing about a 1+1 blank is the weight, they are heavier than the normal 1 piece in my opinion.

DR

Posted by: Gary Coe (---.an3.rdu6.da.uu.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 08:35PM

Mike;
I build a lot of carolina rig rods for the bass fisherman in the carolinas. Lately I have been using 7 ft.
St.Croix blanks. Every one seems to like them.
Medium power, fast action. SC' Graphite 10 to 17 lb. line, 1/4 to 3/4 oz. best one going.

turn it loose

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.242.174.35.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 08:36PM

Have really liked fishing with the All Star B845MC-IM10X blank, Angler's Workshop still has a few. Another the ST Croix 3 or 4C73MHF which is a 1+ blank as you mentioned above. The Rainshadow IMB 844 I've tried was in the running. My fish the GUSA C704DHX and the Shikari SHX PMB 704.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 25, 2005 09:31PM

Mike,

For myself I fish the Batson 843. I agree with Bill Stevens 100%. My best fishing Buddy swears by his All Star 845C I build for him. Both of us fish Carolina rigs about 75% of the time. I think the 843 is a little more sensitive than the All Star 845. The 845 has a little more horsepower to horse the fish out of the brush piles we fish in the Mtn. Lakes of Western NC. I like to go with lite weight stuff more so than most people but everyone has their own preference. I would recommend a butt dia. of greater than 0.5 inches and a tip size of less than 5.5. Take it for what it is worth. Tom does not like pictures of just fish, but if anyone would like to see the results of the fish I caught with the first cast I made with my Batson, I will be glad to supply. (4lb 10 oz. LM (on 4lb test line) caught and released-did not take time to take a picture of the rod. Putter thinks it is larger than that.)

Ed Smith

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 26, 2005 01:09AM

It's definitely larger than that. Next time my doctor weighs ME, I want him to use your scale, Ed.

Sounds like you boys are just using a heavier version of a Lindy rig rod...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 26, 2005 09:10AM

Just to add my 2 cents worth to this, my rod for this job is a 7 tp 7 1/2 ft medium heavy, 10 to 17 lb class, fast action rod. It will do the job in this area. I use an exposed blank reel seat for sensitivity. I have use several different blanks for the job but all have fit this criteria and all have been satisfactory for this area. The area the customer is fishing will very much determine the rod and action needed. I live in Mississippi and most of our bass are hauled out of stumps and stick ups.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster