I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod for 7 year old
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.221.madbbs.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 04:57PM

Hello Im looking to build a fly rod with my & year old son for christmas. Im new to tis can anybody give me any ideas on what blank to use maybe a rainforest or a gatti i think this will be a great learning experiance for both of us. i really have no idea what im doing but think it will be fun.... Please help

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 06:16PM by Rob Culver.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod for 7 year old
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 24, 2005 06:12PM

Now that you have said it is a FLY rod, the relevance of this advice is less. But I'll leave it as is for those Readers considering spinning or casting tackle. -Cliff Hall+++

IMO, pay particular attention to the OD size of the handle components - the reel seat and the grips. Keep the overall length of the handle area, probably less than 12 inches long from butt cap to winding check. The more comfortable and manageable you can make the handle area, the more interested the child will be in persevering on to angling success. Chances are the overall rod length should be from 6 inches shorter to no more than 6 inches longer than the height of the child. ...

Whether you decide to use a spinning reel or a casting reel is really up to you and your preferences. Some youngsters can manage revolving spools. And even today's spin-casters can provide a good introduction to casting on their own if a regular spinning reel or casting reel seems not to fit the bill.

Nothing is etched in stone here, but if you scale the rod down on the same proportions as the size of the child, you'll be on the right track. Your patient and careful investment of time and love with your son will make any imperfections melt away when you hear him say, "My Daddy and me made it." This may be one time when your son's being a real helper may be more important than the rod being perfect. ...

Have fun passing the torch, Rob. "Priceless."
Happy Thanksgiving. -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 08:00PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 24, 2005 06:59PM

Rob - Here are a couple of old Posts that may be worth your review. Now that you have said it is a FLY rod, the relevance is less, it seems. Cliff Hall+++

"Need recommendation on a blank for a child" [www.rodbuilding.org]
Date: April 13, 2005. Clay Robinson: "I want to build a rod for my 5-year old and need some help in locating a blank that would fit her. Any suggestions?" ...

"Rod for a 6 yr old" [www.rodbuilding.org]
Date: Dec. 12, 2004. Ken Blevins: "I have a grand son that has been casting a rod and reel [spin cast] since he was 4 yrs old. For Xmas I'm going to build him a 5"6" bait caster. The rod I picked out for him is a medium light action ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 07:34PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.89.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 07:26PM

Rob , I see that you are looking for a fly rod blank for a 7 yr old , look into a Forecast kit from Hook & Hackle , or a Tiger Eye from Neal or any of the sponsors . They are decent rods for the $$ , and have a moderate action which will be easier for a child to learn to cast on . An 8 ft 5 wt will be the easiest to cast for a kid his age , a Forecast kit will set you back probably 60 or 70 bucks or so , not too much steam if it gets busted by accident . From your post I'm assumeing it is going to be for your child and not for you .
The most important part is to have fun , don't forget to put his or her name on it , and my little guy likes to pick out fish decals and has to have an American flag on all of his rods we build . Good luck, if you have any questions , e-mail me. JHD

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster