I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gold reelseat
Posted by: Ashley adkinson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 01:40AM

wanting to build a spinning rod with gold guides and gold reelseat. found a VARMAC RSA-1 Reel Seat on @#$%& that happens to be gold. question is, will it work for a spinning rod ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gold reelseat
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 03:35AM

Metal reel seats are uncomfortable for spinning rods IMHO but the varmac will work.
There are better options.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 06:20AM

Don't really know alot about that model of reel seat, but have built a couple of spinning rods ranging from 6' to 7' using the gold reel seat, gold guide combo and really liked it. In both cases I purchased Pac Bay components and was very happy. There graphite reel seats with cushion item # G16C-G have a Gold plating process over stainless steel hoods. Graphite/nylon cushion insulates reel feet, preventing electrolytic corrosion. For guides I used there model # GSVHG with the hialoy rings. You can purchase more expensive ring material with the same frame plating but for me these represented the best value/quality combo for these rods and the type of fishing I was going to do with these. Any nuber of vendors listed on the left of this forum could set you up with a kit of Pac Bay components that is IMHO better then the average quality you would find on your average store bought rod.

Steve Lynas

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 09:18AM

I have built several spinning rods using all metal reel seats in different colors including gold. I used a fly reel seat but be sure that the feet of your spinning rod will fit before you try this. You may have to go to a salt water fly seat if the spinning reel is too big. The sponsers at the left can supply you with a variey of seats. I think you will be happy with your results.

Posted by: KEVIN BOGAN (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 10:23AM

THE VARMAC WAS A TOP QUALITY SEAT IN ITS DAY. I BELIEVE THAT THEY HAVE BEEN OUT OF BUSINESS FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS. ALMOST EVERYTHING THEY MADE WAS VERY GOOD IN BOTH QUALITY AND DURABILITY. I AM NOT A COLLECTOR, BUT IF THE SEAT COULD BE HAD FOR A REASONABLE PRICE YOU COULD BUILD A ROD WITH HISTORY BEHIND IT. LOOK ALSO AT PAC BAY, BATSON, AMTAK. THEY ALL HAVE LARGE FLY SEATS THAT MAY FIT YOUR SPIN REEL THEY COME IN GOLD.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2005 02:17AM

I own a few Varmac seats on my 25 year old Ugly Stick Rods,the main problem is they don't always hold the reelseat correctly, many reels with molded plastic bodies will rock from side to side and are unusable
Regards Charles

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2005 08:40AM

All of the composite graphite/nylon seats are superior in terms of holding a reel securely. They have just enough "give" to grasp a reel foot very securely and are not affected by vibration or changes in temperature as most all metal seats are.

Have you considered a graphite type seat with gold hoods?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster