I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Workbench Lamp/Magnifier Help
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.rice.edu)
Date: November 23, 2005 12:20AM

I am looking for a workbench magnifier with a lamp on a movable arm that I can use on my building bench. Anyone have any good ideas of places on lines or in stores. More importantly, do you know any good brand make and model out there. I appreciate the help as always. Thanks a lot.

Jeffrey Wolfanger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Workbench Lamp/Magnifier Help
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 05:34AM

I picked one up at Staples with a Flex arm and a Neon Light Magnafier in center Pretty Nice!

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 23, 2005 07:14AM

Check out this lamp.

[www.allbrands.com]

For lamps that I have used, it has the best bulb I have seen or worked with. You get a very true white light.

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 09:09AM

Jeffrey

I have been using a lighted magnifier lamp for my fly tying and rod building for the past five years or so. My experience with the less expensive modles sold in office supply stores etc., has been problems with the movable arm. The springs on the arms get weak and the lamp tends to slowly drift. I would unconciously follow the magnifier to keep the focus right and find myself all hunched up with a neck ache. The darn things wouldn't stay in the place I put it. I happened across a professional soldering business that use the lighted magnifiers and they swear by the Luxo brand magnifiers. I picked a good used one up on @#$%& for about $75 and it has been fantastic. Excellent light, quality magnification and best of all it moves super easy and stays where I put it. Just something to think about as you make your selection. Good luck

Jim Smith

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 09:26AM

We at Neal's Fishing Products have one for sale if you email me at neal@nealsfishingtackle.com I can send you a picture and pricing.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 05:57PM

Jeffrey... I have two of the $59.00 "swing-arm" magnifier lamps that Cabela's sells. I think the lens is 3X and the lamp is a circular 22 watt bulb. I've had these for three years and never had a bulb burn out. Excellent for rod building, fly tying, etc. These lamps are worth every penney and then some... Regards, Vance

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 23, 2005 09:43PM

Harbor frieght has the same ones like Cabela's for $11.95. I just bought 2 from their store on sale for $7.95 and they look like the same ones that I got from Cabelas. I put 60 watts in them and they work great [www.harborfreight.com]

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2005 09:44PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 07:38AM

Mike... Cabelas sells a lamp similar to the one you are referring to for $24.99 (the lamp Harbor Freight sells for $11.95). However, the lamps I purchased from Cabela's are of a much better quality (enameled metal arm & housing, very sturdy clamp, full 45" extension, 5" polished lens, etc.) The circline 22w lamp surrounds the lens (versus a standard 60w screw-in bulb mounted to one side of a 4" diameter lens on the cheaper lamps). I found that the circline bulb gives you a much better "flood" of light around your work as you adjust the magnifier at various angles. (I bought the better quality lamps after struggling with the cheaper one for a few months.) Vision is a precious thing! Best Regards, Vance

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2005 08:55AM

Mike is dead on the money, Harbor Freight is where mine came and a $7.95 (they run them on sale regularly) you can't beat it.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2005 08:56AM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 24, 2005 10:03AM

I bought a magnifier lamp at Lowes. It has a heavy base - not a clamp (easily moveable), and a decent moveable arm. It takes a standard screw-in type bulb (I use a 60 watt "sunlight" bulb in mine). I think it was around $20. Good enough for my bench!

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster