I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Guide Feet
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2005 07:01PM

Working on my first rod and am at the stage where I've filed down the guide feet to create a nice ramp for the thread. After filing, I used some fine emory cloth to polish them. Although better looking, I am wondering if there is a better way, or another step, that will remove the fine scratches that still remain. Should they appear under the thread wraps and finish, I'd like them to look truly "finished".

Any suggestions to create a nicer look?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing Guide Feet
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2005 07:18PM

Ralph
I think what you are doing would be considered "over kill" your wraps will be covering any scratches.
make them any smoother the guide might slip out :)

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: November 22, 2005 08:08PM

Yah, your totally fine with what you've done. In general I've use the "fingernail" test (suggested on this site) to find out if the edges of the guide are too rough. If the edges don't dig into your finger nail when you rub lightly against it, then it won't damage the blank. Any further polishing is totally unnecessary as your thread wraps should provide a nice even cover to the guide foot. If the foot does show through, I would say that the bigger flaw would be the gap, not the guide foot! :)

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 08:22PM

Sounds like you are good to go.
After filing I sand mine with 320 sand paper.
Then just feel with my finger to see if they are smooth. Don't forget the underneath where the guides lays on the blank.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 22, 2005 09:17PM

You didn't say, but if you have black or dark guide feet and are not using CP, you might want to "paint" the foot with a black Sharpie marker to keep the shiny part from showing through.

Mike

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 09:26PM

I use a Dremel with diamond wheel to taper guide feet & run the bottom of guide over a chainsaw file - don't see the need to polish. Check the bottom with a fingernail or Q Tip and coat the topside ground-down area with a Vampire Black fingernail polish. Seems to work so far. Stan

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2005 09:46AM

I got it. I quess my "analness" was coming through in my quest for a great looking "first rod". Thanks for reigning me back in a little.

Thanks, guys!

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: November 23, 2005 02:50PM

No matter what, that first rod will be just great! Don't get hung up on the cosmetics, as there will always be things you won't get right! But learn from it and enjoy the stick you've made. I can guarentee that the sloppy finish, poorly spaced guides, and crappy cork doesn't take away from my enjoyment of using my first rod that I made :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster