I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speckle Trout Pole Update
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 07:40PM

Hello-

I finally got some work done, I was in here a month or so back asking about tools, and advise. Bill Stevens recommended that I find a local rod builder in Houston which was excellent advice. I met Ellis M. and he has been pointing me in the right direction.

I ended up taking advantage of the Rainshadow sale with Custom Tackle, and bought (4) ISJ 843 OG, and some other materials and tools. So far I have the rear handle, reel seat, and foregrip on 3 or the 4 rods. I will have this last one done tomorrow.

I went to a local store today and picked up a bunch of thread, but just can't figure out what colors to use with the olive green blanks, Oh well, I really appreciate everyones support and feedback. I know I ask a lot of questions and give little in return....

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speckle Trout Pole Update
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 01:21AM

Good luck with your projects Jeffrey and don't sweat the questions! That is just what this site is for. Just keep sharing
your experiences (failures and successes) for others OK? If you complete a rod you are especially proud of post some
photos as well.

Welcome to the club!! (of addicts!! LOL LOL)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 06:26AM

A nice burgandy and gold look real good on that color blank IMO.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2005 08:54AM

On a "pole" i would wrap in any old color laying around but on a "rod or blank" i would wrap in green and gold trim.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 09:23AM

Lance you took the words right out of my mouth. Can't stand it when people call rods "poles" I use to have a "pole" hanging in the over head of my shop so that I could point out the difference to the customers that called my rods "poles" Jesse

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: November 22, 2005 12:07PM

Hey Jeffery
Angler's Workshop has a color that I call "XP Green" because it matches Sage's XP finish so perfectly. For your purposes, I've also used this color on the OG Batson blanks and it's a good match there as well. Use it with or w/o color preserver and it looks great. Really gives you a good palate for striking inlays.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Date: November 22, 2005 01:59PM

Great suggestion on the burgandy and gold. I think I will use this on one of them.

Thanks again,

Jeffrey

Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: November 22, 2005 02:30PM

Black and gold are good together as well.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2005 02:43PM

Jeffery: One more little thing - go the the profile section at the top of the board and confirm your email address - then we can communcate with you directly via email. Presently your email address is hidden. Go to the photo board and do a search on Wine Colored Flocked Grips - they just might be the ticket for what you are wanting to do.

Gon

Date: November 23, 2005 12:35AM

Bill-

Yeah, those look cool. Today, I configured my guide placement and wrapped a guide with the gold and maroon it looked great! I reconfigured my profile as you stated. Thanks again! I will have to learn about flocking, I am unfamilar with it at this time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster