I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

polyurathane
Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:10PM

would polyurathane work for a finish on a rod after paiting the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: polyurathane
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 04:53PM

Yes it would. Different techniques for application can be found in the archives, just do a search.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:19PM

Don't use a polyurethane (indoors), use a Spar Urethane (outdoors) Minwax is good. IMO. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 06:06PM

I'm redoing alot of my old rods and chose a Plastikote auto paint, with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane over it. With two very light coats of each, I'm very happy with the results. I've been bending the blanks and smacking them around a bit, and feel confident the'll hold up for a while. How long I don't know, but its much better than the beat up $200 blanks they used to be.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 08:36PM

We are having a play on symantics here. Technically there is no such thing as SPAR URETHANE. This is merely a manufactures slang for his brand of Polyurethane finish. The word URETHANE is merely short slang for POLYURETHANE. Polyurethane finishes as a group are ALL excellent Outdoor finishes, but the common 'oil modified urethanes', (which this so called spar urethane is probably included) are somewhat cheapened for mass production purposes, and are not nearly as good a finish. The polyurethanes can be broken down into two major categories -- Aliphatic, non-yellowing -- and Aromatic, which will turn brown or yellow upon exposure to sunlight. It is the Aromatic urethanes that are considerd to be indoor finishes.

Ralph

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 10:01PM

...go with the outdoor type.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 11:15PM

I recently took a size 16 mm reel seat and did some fancy metal leafing on it. To test the Minwax Helmsman "Spar" Urethane (their words, Ralph, not mine-LOL!), I put two coats over the metal leafing and threw the reel seat into my jacket pocket. Now I work in an office situation and only wear that jacket to work, at lunch, and on my way home plus a few quick jaunts here and there. None 'on-the-weekend' use at all.

After 3 or 4 weeks in there, it's not doing very good at all. There's several 'black' spots where the finish is all gone and the metal leafing is gone. The reel seat's black color is all that's left. I don't think I'll use this on rods. It doesn't seem to have wear resistance to me, anyhow.

Two coats of it should have given it enough protection, shouldn't it??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 03:24AM

i refininshed several old rods that i have had for years . repainted with krylon and then three lite
coats of the spar varnish .
the rods have been fished out of a john boat and off the bank with rod holders and the finish is not holdind up. paint is okay so far but the spar varnish has chips in after just a few weeks of fishing
will have to redo them again but will be using a different finish
just my .02

david williams

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.181.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 07:23AM

The plasti-kote auto paint is nice with permagloss over.
But recently I have been playing with Mon-O - War spar Marine varnish. Red can.
I find so far it is a bit better then the minwax. Clearer also.

Want the best go for the auto clears, thined and with flex additive in stead of spending money experimenting. Will be costly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2005 07:27AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster