I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about lathes and Polymer inserts
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:11PM

Was thinking about picking up a lathe, starting off with reel seat insterts and maybe working my way down to wooden handles one day.

Going to Japan in January, they have an awesome wood shop there on base. I won't be able to purchase a lathe for awhile, was wondering if I made them up per the article, and took them to the woodshop, would the normal lathes in a woodshop work for this kind of thing? I know my friends used to make table legs, pens, and stuff there.

What to look for in a lathe? Mini-lathe work or not? Please keep wording simple, I'm mechanically and tool/wood-workingly challenged. Know nothing about either.

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about lathes and Polymer inserts
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2005 09:17PM

Did you read the article in the latest issue of RodMaker on turning polymer inserts? There's quite a bit in there on what you can do with them on a wood lathe - the tools required, speeds, tricks, tips, etc.

In a nutshell, yes you can turn them on a wood lathe but it will require some background information and some practice. Joe Emig does his on a small machine lathe and to be honest, if all you're going to turn is the polymer inserts, that might be the better way to go. If you intend to do more than just inserts, however, and need a little more distance and swing than provided by a small machine lathe, you can do well with something like the Jet or Delta midi lathes. They offer a lot of value and size for the money involved.

Date: November 19, 2005 09:22PM

I did read the article. Some of it I didn't read too far into as I've never used a lathe... Didn't pick up on there being different types of lathes. Thought there was regular sized and mini.

Wonder if they have a machine lathe on base.... they must have one in a metal shop. Need to make friends. Small Japanese house, not sure how much room I'm going to have for a lathe until I get back to the states.

Is there anything different between a machine lathe and wood lathe other than size?
Phil

Date: November 19, 2005 09:44PM

Size is not the difference. Machine lathes generally feature a tool post on a cross-slide for making accurate cuts in machine parts. Wood lathes feature a simple tool rest upon which the turner rests and supports a tool, freehand, for making the cuts.

Because of the cross-slide and tool post, and any related gear head speed changing or automatic feed features, machine lathes can be rather expensive. But there are some oriental machine lathes in smaller sizes that aren't too much money. You can also adapt a machine lathe to handle a tool rest and use it like any regular wood lathe, although there are a lot of nooks and crannies there to trap dirt and shavings.

Both require some knowledge to use proficiently. Wood lathes require more skill in terms of using the cutting tools, machine lathes require more knowledge in terms of using the proper bits, how to grind/shape the bits, speeds to use, etc.

I have turned inserts from all types of materials on both lathe types. I can probably do them faster on the regular wood lathes. If you wanted to measure them down to the thousandth of the inch, however, I'm sure the ones I do on the machine lathes are more accurate and certainly more verbatim.

Date: November 19, 2005 10:02PM

Thank you for the in-depth info, I now understand the differences. When I get settled in, I'll have to find someone who can show me how to use the lathes.

Last question for now. If you wanted a seperate place for turning/shaping grips from foam or cork than your rod wrappers, the wood lathe would be the thing to have, unless you adapted the machile lathe for a tool rest?

Phil

Date: November 19, 2005 10:08PM

You can adapt a machine lathe to do that sort of work easy enough. Size for size, most machine lathes will be heavier. If you want something to take outside or to use just for cork and EVA, I'd go with Delta or Jet midi wood lathe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster