I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sam Fox
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 04:53PM

Just a note of appreciation to Sam Fox. He and his pal Dock Newcomer stopped by on their way from Mississippi to Iowa the other evening. Was the first time I'd ever met another Rod Builder and the first time I'd ever seen another custom built rod.

Both were a real pleasure!

Sam showed me how to wrap some decorative wraps as well as giving me several more ideas and suggestions to use building rods. Just wish I'd gotten some pictures of a "Real Rodbuilder" using my rod lathe and that we'd had more time.

Have to give credit to this web site for making lots of things possible too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sam Fox
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:05AM

It's kind of neat; with out this site, I'd never have gone out to Helena and met Stan Grace, wouldn't have gone to Billings and met Gerry Rhoades, and Mike Wong would have never stopped here from Portland on his way to a family reunion.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: November 20, 2005 10:13AM

Come on now, fess up! We all know that you have to pay money and join a club in order to have the opportunity to meet and share information with other rod builders. At least that's what I've been told.

Seriously, I've stayed in touch with a few guys I met here and in Charlotte last year. Being able to meet and talk to other builders really advances the rod building learning curve.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2005 10:23AM

Any builder interested in learning more about rod building or having access to parts in those times of quick need, should get to know the other builders in their local area. We have a directory right here on this site that lists rod builders from all over North America. I haven't counted lately, but I think there are between 500 and 600 builders listed there. Each one listed for the sole purpose of having other builders contact them. Take advantage of it.

Get to know the other builders in your local area. At some point in time, it'll pay off.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 11:35AM

Neil-

Dock Newcomer???? Gotta be a nickname, eh??? LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: November 21, 2005 11:59AM

I too welcome anyone coming through the Reno, Nevada area to stop by my home shop to share methods and styles or just swap stories.

thanks Neil for encourageing other to share, and to Doc too !

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 05:38PM

Randy:
Dadgummit Randy! I looked at that note 3 times and thought I had everything actually spelled right for a change! His name is Dick Newcomer. I see looking at the keyboard the key "I" is at least close to "O". Now I hope that this gets off the front page before Sam gets home! : )

Shawn:
For his lessons it did cost me! Cost me (well, actually cost my boss - my Wife) some sloppy joes & potato salad! Was well worth the (her) effort!

David:
I get so much info from this place I almost feel guilty at times. I haven't got a lot to contribute, but, as long as my wife keeps cooking, anyone's more than welcome to swing by my way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster