I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS - Conversion between ERN and grains
Posted by: Magnus Haugen (---.bb.online.no)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:19AM

Hi everybody.
I've become facinated by the common cents system and want to convert it into something a bit easier to use in my part of the world (norway to be exact). Since your "common cents" isn't as common outside the US I need to convert every measurement from cents to a currency found locally. Doing this I hope somebody can sypply me with a formula or something to convert between weight (grains/oz/grams dosn't matter) and ERN. By simply using the tables on www.common-cents.info my results will not be as accurate as I like.

Hope sombody is able and willing to help me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS - Conversion between ERN and grains
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2005 11:41AM

You need to find something to convert the penny weight to. Grains or grams would be ideal. Each U.S. cent minted from 1996 on weighs exactly 38.61 grains.

Now, you may be looking at this backwards - if you can't get someone to obtain some post 1995 U.S. pennies for you (in which case you don't have to convert anything) then you need to take your weight reading in grains or grams and convert back to U.S. cents and apply that to the Rosetta Stone chart for your ERN.

Posted by: Magnus Haugen (---.bb.online.no)
Date: November 18, 2005 12:03PM

That is what i'm been doing so far. the problem is my coin weighs 55.56grains, and that very seldom adds up in a whole number of cents. I was hoping there was a formula or another way of converting the weight in grains directly to ERN to get the results more accurate.

Date: November 18, 2005 12:45PM

You should still be able to fall directly between any two "cents" weights which would put you directly between two ERN figures. The ERN scale has pretty good resolution - the difference between say, 6.35 and 6.49 would be nil.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 01:45PM

Magnus - give me your address and I'll send you 100 post 1995 pennies. I've gotten a lot of good information from this forum, so I feel i can help someone else out now and then.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 18, 2005 02:19PM

I think the popularity and usefulness of the CCS could result in a major disruption in the international currency exchange rates. Breaking news: post-1995 pennies are now so valuable outside the U.S. that an enterprising American rodbuilder is purchasing Norwegian smoked salmon fillets for only $1 each!

Posted by: Warren Manson (69.31.193.---)
Date: November 18, 2005 04:11PM

There are 15.43 grains per gram. I do all my measurments in grams. The Rosetta stone should list the weights in grams as well. HTH

Date: November 18, 2005 05:59PM

No, only in cents. The purpose was to make it possible for people not to have to fool with weights and that sort of thing. That's one of the main keys to its popularity - it's simple; it doesn't require that you really learn anything new. For any system to gain widespread acceptance and use by the general fishing public, it has to be extremely simple and require very little effort.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 12:10AM

According to the US mint, the agency that makes the coins -- [www.usmint.gov] -- the specification weight of one US cent is 2.500 grams, which using standard conversion factors available from a variety of sources (Google is your friend) is 38.5808959 grains. This differs a bit from the the value (38.61) quoted by Dr. Hanneman, but the difference is less than 1/10 of a percent and is not significant in the application of testing rods.

Mike

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 04:41AM

Mike--

You are assuming that pennies in circulation are still mint-bright and clean. I'm guessing most pennies out there have something nasty on them that weighs about .03 grains. :)

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 12:59PM

I got my new pennies from the bank, uncirculated. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: bill hanneman (---.itexas.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:27PM

Very interesting. I never saw that "official number." I just weighed a batch.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that as a supplier, I would never want to "short change" the government. Consequently, I would make certain that my product always weighed slightly more than the specification called for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2005 01:32PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.snvacaid.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 11:47PM

Tom makes the argument of simplicity for sticking strictly with US cents as the measuring weight for the CC system. One reason this is valid and useful is because it limits the more obsessive among us from quoting ridiculous numbers of decimal places of precision in E.R.N. measurements. On the other hand it is clear that with the publication of the CCS Info web site, the concept is spreading around the world as Magnus's post demonstrates as do the discussions on the SexyLoops web site board. Perhaps as a result we'll see the millenium where blank makers can't afford not to state CCS values for their products. Unfortunately as Magnus notes, US one cent pieces are not readily available everywhere. Tim has generously offered to send him 100 cents. This will take a trip to the post office, customs forms, and postage to get them there, so there are limits on how often or how much this can happen. To my mind this argues for a secondary version of the Rosetta Stone with gram or perhaps 2.5 gram increments in the E.R.N. table. There are a reasons why there are international standards of weights and measures...

Mike

Date: November 22, 2005 08:29AM

True, and it's a shame that the U.S. won't participate in them. Our system of weights and measures is terrible, at least if you want to converse with others in the world.

It would be a fairly simple matter to add an additional column to the Rosetta Stone chart, but the values for grams against the ERN numbers wouldn't be in whole numbers. Still, it might be worth doing. In fact I'm sure it is.

Or... somebody has found a new use for marketing U.S. cent coins around the world - weight tools for the Common Cents System.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster