I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cabela's FE2 steelhead rod
Posted by: corey kiesser (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:40PM

I was wondering if anyone here has used the 10' blank, built as a spin rod. Also on a rod like this how about some of your ideas on a standard vs. skamania style grip. I would be using the rod for just about everything from casting dick nite spoons for silvers to using floats for chum. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cabela's FE2 steelhead rod
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 07:45AM

I have built and am in the process of building my second Salmon/Steelhead rod with the Skamania style handle. The one that is built is 9'6" Rainshadow IST 1143F. The beauty of building your own rod is you build it to suit your style of fishing, therefore since I am most comfortable using my Shimano Stradic spinning reel that is the reel I use on my pole. So to answer your question no I haven't built a 10' spinning rod but I have built a 9'6" with the skamania style handle. In my opinion the skamania style handle allows me to hold the rod just above the reel for a better feel and comfort and it also allows the reel to act as a counter balance on hook set. You can really set the hook quick with the snap of your wrist. The skamania style handle is very comfortable to fish with and you are never poking yourself in the ribs, as can be the case with the longer style rear handles. For my build I choose a St Croix Handle Kit SG-18N. The only thing that I will be watching for on this new build is the placement of my stripping guide. Recently I have noticed that the line on retrieval has been slapping the back of my hand. It only seems to happen when there is too much slack in my line, but none the less I asked the question a week ago on this site about possible fixes and if your interested you should search under author, my name and you will read what has been suggested. If you decide to build a Skamania Style handle be aware of the height of your reel and where your hand is compared to the line coming off your spool. I used a #30 stripping guide and it has been suggested that a smaller or taller framed guide placed in a different location might have eliminated my problem. So just experiment with stripping guide placement a little to both optimize your blanks natural curvature during a load and the distance the line is from the back of your hand upon retrieval.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 19, 2005 10:19PM

I used the FE2 blanks in 9-foot, 6-10# to build 4 identical steelhead side-drifting rods. They turned out great and have performed well so far on the steelhead we've caught on them (up to 14#). For the price, I think they are a great blank.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: corey kiesser (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 08:09AM

Thnaks for the for the info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster