I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
o rings for homemade wrapper
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 11:37AM

Good morning,

I built myself a new wrapper using 1 1/4" replacement wheels (for sliding doors) for the rod holders. i used o rings from the local ace hardware , but they are not thick enough to give me the clearance from the wheel to the rod that i was looking for (worried about scratching blank on metal wheel.). Any ideas on alternate sources for bigger o rings or other material that may work better? Hope this makes sense, thanks for the help

Carrington Tate

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: o rings for homemade wrapper
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 17, 2005 12:19PM

orings.com?

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 01:42PM

Auto parts stores may carry the o rings you need. They seem to vary by store but parts departments for heavy equipment and farm equipment dealers usually stock a much wider range of o rings. If you don't have such dealerships handy then go to internet sites for o rings as Billy suggests.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Darrell L.Pack Jr. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 01:54PM

Go to McMaster-Carr.com .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 02:13PM

Try putting more then one on -- or build up the indent so the rings sit higher.
I have built mine up with either thread or even filled with epoxy on a turner.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:44PM

I also used the ball-bearing sliding patio door rollers you describe & had difficulty finding suitable "O" rings.
Finally found "bobbin tires" (#2460) at a sewing machine store that work fine. The bobbin tires appear to be made of rubber , not neoprene, and do tend to shed fine rubber particles with time but they're worth a try. Hope this helps.Stan

Date: November 17, 2005 04:59PM

Thanks for the tips, i appreciate it.

Carrington

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 05:33PM

One of the first wrappers I built, I used sliding glass door bearings...probablly similar to what you have. Even the thickest orings available weren't thick enough....so I sanded down the nylon outer part of the bearing to fit the oring. Did you get the heavy duty ones or the nylon ones with the inner ball bearing?

Date: November 17, 2005 06:58PM

i got the brass looking ones that have a groove about 1/4" across. I can't sand them down, but i can probably fill in the "trench" with thread and epoxy like mentioned above. Carrington

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.246.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 07:10PM

If you fill them you can put a piece of tape on each side across the bearing and the wheel to keep it turning solid. Then put it on a scrap piece of blank, then on a turner. As it turns fill it up. It will have a little indent when it dries enough for one or two rings to fit nicely.

Your welcome.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.254.143.225.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:16PM

If you have a bearing supply store or a multi-quip hydraulic hose making store in your area, just take the wheel that you are using and they can fit the wheel with what ever size or thickness o ring you need.
The large drive o ring on my wrapper broke so I took it to a bearing supply house in town they took the measurment and gave me a bag of six rings for the sum of three dollars plus change .Hope this was of some help to you, good luck. <<<DON>>>

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.010.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:23PM

This may be a bit of a painful thought, but how about castration rings they use on cattle and sheep. I suppose you would have to live near some sort of produce outlet or maybe a Vet. maybe able to help.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.246.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:30PM

I have those wheels and use Homedepot Plumbing section faucet repair o-rings.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2005 09:36PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 01:15AM

Regardless of our various opinions/solutions, the question hasn't quite been adequately resolved, neither for Carrington nor me.
Stan

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 18, 2005 06:34AM

If you can't find it here, they don't make it.

[www1.mscdirect.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 06:51AM

I think it was Stan . By filling in the indent which will make the o-rings sit higher the blank will not get scratched.
I have those wheels and use them with out scratching any blanks. After filling I use two o-rings on each wheel.

Date: November 18, 2005 11:54AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Myles,
I have a sample calf castration ring on the way to see if it will do the job (have my legs crossed as i type, lol!) If it works, i'll buy some at the local ranch store and then it will be castration rings for all! Thanks for the help.

Carrington
Durango, CO

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 18, 2005 12:05PM

Stan Gregory Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regardless of our various opinions/solutions, the
> question hasn't quite been adequately resolved,
> neither for Carrington nor me.
> Stan

OK, you want a better solution..... USE A DIFFERENT WHEEL. Maybe buy the White Nylon ones used in the Clemens/Renzetti lathe - which have O0Rings that fit, and you won't have any more problems?

Posted by: Dennis Fosburg (---.jeteng.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 01:07PM

You might try Jann's Netcraft. I bought some replacement wheels for a Pac Bay style rod dryer for less than $2.00 each. They are about 1" in diameter and were perfect replacements for my stands.

Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2005 08:38PM

I'll second what Billy said. I used skateboard wheels, (they make diferent durometers, hardness, I use the soft ones). They don't scratch, my kids gave me their old ones, and they have sealed bearings to boot.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster