I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod blank, which one would be best
Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: November 17, 2005 08:38AM

I have a friend who wants a tarpon-muskie rod made. He wants a 7 foot 2 piece with a fast tip. Going to be used for live bait and casting. The line weight he will be using would be between 25-30lb line. What rod blank would i look for to build this rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod blank, which one would be best
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2005 11:33AM

In the article on building Musky Rods in a past issue of RodMaker, the author recommended these:

Bucktail Rods
St. Croix 2M72MHF and 2M76MHF
Rainshadow IM948
American Tackle M701

Jerk Bait Rods
American Tackle M701
St. Croix 2M69HF, 3M62HF, 2M70HF2

Trollling Rods
St. Croix 3M80HF
Rainshadow IMU907
American Tackle SWB87M
Rainshadow SWS540
Forecast SWB80M

Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: November 17, 2005 11:54AM

Tom thanks for the help, which issue was that in?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 17, 2005 12:21PM

It looks like this one below is the only TRUE 2-PIECE Rod Blank among those suggested above:

ST-CROIX (MUSKY); SC-2M-70-HF-2 SC-II Graphite blank ~ $90
A true 2-pc rod. 7'0". 20-40# line. 1-3oz lure.
HEAVY-power. FAST-taper-action.

And a quick scan thru the M-H 2005 Catalog didn't show any others jumping off the page at me. You may have more luck while you are searching for yourself thru the specs of similar rods in your own catalogs.

Good luck finding a 2-piece or helping him see that a 7-footer is not too long for most car travel. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 12:26PM

Cliff is right on. I have made several of those two piece musky rods from St. Croix. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only real 2-pc Musky blank made. I made one for myself the first year that they came out with this blank to see if it would hold up. It's rock solid. Wrap the ferrule a little extra. Handles bucktails, crankbaits, and even lighter jerkbaits. I cant comment on it's use for Tarpon. Never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster