I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Percent difference in pricing
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 08:17AM

What is the average % percent difference in price between wholesale and retail fishing supplies prices ?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Percent difference in pricing
Posted by: bret rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:23AM

Date: November 17, 2005 09:47AM

Thanks bret.
So it would be about 10 - 25 %. On supplies that is not selling rods.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 09:53AM

The difference between retail and wholesale pricing can be quite large if you have enough volume so that you can go direct to the manufacturers or importers. The difference is often 50% and It can be as high as 60% or 70%.

Date: November 17, 2005 10:08AM

That sounds good for production work Emory. The little I do and I have gotten so many people " kicking the tires " lately and then if I try to get feed back on who built your rod and why, I get no replys. It's only making me a " hard butt " if you know what i mean. Not worth it to go though the paper work.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:14AM

Quanity is what makes the big difference. Back when Shakespear was making blanks buying direct from Shakespeare a particular blank was 23.00 ea. up to the quanity of 499. Once you went over 500 the price dropped to 9.75 ea. Most retailer's will give you a discount if you buy enough of a particular item. Jesse

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 11:03AM

Jesse,
Your volume does not need to be nearly that high to get significant discounts. I have an OEM agreement with one manufacturer that results in a very significant discount and all I have to order is 25 at a time of a given model blank. There are also those that will give you a dollar volume discount where your price is dependent upon your total annual dollar volume. The key to the discounts is naturally that you have to have a reasonable volume. It has to be worth the manufacturers or importers time. They can not afford to mess with low volume.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 02:11PM

Emory, You are preaching to the choir. I was OEM with one of the "Big Boys" a few years back but did not keep it up , in fact it sounds like the same company you are with. Jesse

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:27PM

Nobody sells at retail these days so what you would pay as a retail customer and wholesale customer wouldn't be very different. Remember that most companies regularly sell at retail less 30% to anybody. Wholesale is usually retail less 40%.

I don't think anybody in this business has charged full retail in 10 years. Just about everything can be bought at huge discounts.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 11:43PM

Shawn,

I beg to differ. The difference between wholesale and retail from the SAME vendor can be as much as 40% off their retail price.

Mike

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 04:17AM

You kow if you purchase just enough to build 3 rods not much dicount, but if you by enought to build 30 rods big savings. Also if you go to some of the rod show you can get a big discount
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster