I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
High quality blanks, I need help!
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2005 07:47PM

Greetings to all. I am new here, been reading for a while but this is post #1. I have been researching blanks all day, reading posts here, looking up manufacturers web sites and suppliers listed to the left. Now I'm confused... everyone claims to be lighter and more sensitive!

I don't know what is high quality and what is hype. I'm hoping you all can help me with a few ideas as to light and sensitive blanks. I own mostly Loomis rods, both IMX and GLX... all a few years old. I love the GLX and IMX but I have a few specific rod needs (ok, WANTS) that are not offered in a configuration I like. So, I'm going to learn to build them myself. I figure if I can craft longbows and recurves along with all my arrows and gear, I can build a fishing rod... with the help you guys and some books!

So far I like the Shikari and St. Croix (except the finish) after seeing those referenced here. I called Shikari and spoke to the salesman... he said the top of the line blanks are "like GL3, maybe a little better" but "they are not IMX or GLX" So my question for you is who makes blanks that will feel as good as IMX or GLX and are also very light? Money is not a concern as long as blanks can be had for about $300 or less.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks for any input,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High quality blanks, I need help!
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2005 07:57PM

Quality can be found in cheap as well as expensive blanks. Don't let price alone be your guide. I've bought $25 blanks that were of great quality and $300 blanks that I thought were next to junk.

As you go up the modulus scale most blanks will get lighter and you'll pay more. Check the blank weights in the catalogs. St. Croix is a pretty safe bet for performance and quality all the way around. For saltwater GUSA and Seeker are my top choices. Loomis is very good but I haven't used them much lately. Shikari is very good but I find them hard to get sometimes.

If you're willing to spend up to $300 per blank then the field is wide open to you. Plenty of really great blanks can be had for that much or even far less.

Date: November 16, 2005 08:07PM

Thanks for the help. maybe I should be more specific since there are thousands of possibilities out there. My primary interest will be in casting rods for bass. Pitching, flipping and what everyone calls the "mag bass" rods/blanks.

I'd be fine with inexpensive as long as it was great quality... I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't looking to get by a little cheaper. I'm looking for high quality.

Do you have any specific brands or types you could reccommend?

Thanks,

Keith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:56PM

The salesman you talked to is a little misinformed or they have completely change the Shikari blanks since their sale. The SHX blanks were every bit as nice as the IMX blanks. The SH III were like the GL3.
Loomis makes some fine Mag bass blanks what had you found wanting in them?
The GUSA DHX blanks are also nice blanks and very tough. I use the GUSA662DHX for Senkos. The 664DHX for jigs.
If you don't get a St, Croix 5 or 4C68MXF blank for your arsenal you're doing yourself a disservice. Very versatile blank for many things. The St Croix 3C66 or 70MHM are fine crankbait blanks the MM are for smaller cranks. 4C73MHF is a fine carolina rig blank.
Lamiglas makes some fine bass blanks. IMC 784 jigs, draggin', shakin'. IMC 096-T flipping. IMC or IMS 781 Senkos, not bad dropshot. IMC 845 worms and Carolinas.
Boy they's a bunch of great bass blanks out there.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:57PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2005 08:59PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 09:19PM

CTS.....plain and simple. I am not just saying that because I am a distributor. They are using construction techniques, and technology that nobody else is using to make not only the lightest, but toughest rod around.

Check my website at www.lamarreelseats.com or the CTS website for details. Please feel free to contact me for any questions you may have!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Date: November 16, 2005 09:19PM

CTS.....plain and simple. I am not just saying that because I am a distributor. They are using construction techniques, and technology that nobody else is using to make not only the lightest, but toughest rod around.

Check my website at www.lamarreelseats.com or the CTS website for details. Please feel free to contact me for any questions you may have!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Date: November 16, 2005 09:27PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Loomis makes some fine Mag bass blanks what had
> you found wanting in them? >

I agree, but the flip/pitch models all have the same handle/reel seat, w/o an exposed blank. There is one GLX with the seat I like but it has the "recoil guides" which I do not like.

Andy- I will check out the CTS web site, thanks for the heads up.

The more I read about rod building, the more I want to get started... even if I find the "right" rod for sale, I'm thinking that I will like it better if it comes out of my shop!! (even if the first few are ugly!)

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 09:49PM

Keith,
I would not confuse high modulus and high quality. A higher modulus blank will be more expensive and should be lighter but there is a price you pay for the lighter weight and that is the blank will not be as tough, its a trade off. For many applications the tougher, more durable lower modulus blanks are a better choice and in my judgement this includes most bass fishing applications.
The technology in the blanks today has for the most part matured and all of the well know blank manufacturers are doing their best to build the best blanks that they can. If you are a fan of the Loomis blanks and have had good luck with them then by all means stick with them but in my judgement you will not necessarily be getting the highest quality blank nor the one that is best suited to your application. You will though be paying close to the highest price.

Date: November 16, 2005 10:35PM

I don't think that just high modulus = quality... that is in part why I asked the question to begin with. I do however, believe that the IMX & GLX rods of the past 10 years are of high quality. Yes, they are light and sensitive, that is part of the reason I have bought a bunch of them over the years. I'm sure other manufacturers make as good, if not better quality.... I'm just trying to find out who they are. I've not heard of many of the blank makers like I have rod makers.

I have also read on this forum and a few others that the loomis quality has slipped recently, which is another reason to look at other options. But having said that, all my experience is in Loomis IMX and GLX rods... so I don't know which others to look at to find similar feel, weight and sensitivity. Until this week, I had never heard of Shikari, CTS, American Tackle, Calstar, Seeker, etc. I don't know who makes good blanks and who just has a good marketing guy writing up the descriptions. I am relying on the expertise of this forum to point out companies that are of a quality level I am familiar with since this is a new area for me.

I thought that for the purposes of comparison, mentioning my experience with Loomis would make it easier to see what I was hoping for. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression... wasn't sure how to ask for what I was wanting to know. Maybe this clears it up some?

Thanks again!!

Posted by: stan mclean (---.lndnnh.adelphia.n)
Date: November 17, 2005 01:03AM

for bass rods, you want to get technique specific blanks for each presentation. you will find that each company has rods that will do what you need. i use rods from many to get the "best". i like the st. croix legend elite for presentations that require sensitivity, use rubbing alchol to save finish. if you like the loomis glx you can buy them they are very very nice. i also like the shikari and gusa blanks, and am going to try a couple of rogues. i know this didn't quite answer your question, sorry. good luck and keep asking questions.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 02:08AM

Keith;
If at all possible; do yourself a great favor by attending the Nat'l Rod Builder's Show in Charlotte, NC on Feb. 25-26, 2006.
There you will have the opportunity to personally compare just about all the high quality blanks made. In addition, there is an amazing assortment of seminars which are all included with the admission price. See the link at the top of the Sponsors list for all pertinent details. Having attended the previous two conventions I can say with certainty that each show gets better. The upcoming show is shaping up to be far better than even last year's; which was wonderful. Where else can you learn so much about rod building under one roof? Nowhere!!! There are also many discounts offered as show specials so if you can wait until then it is the best shopping opportunity going. Many sellers will ship items that one is not able to transport. The conventions are great for all but a beginner can really benefit from the instruction by some of the best builders in the field. Frankly, there is nothing to compare to what the convention offers. Plus you'll get to meet the community of builders. Then if you can find a good rod builder in your area to take you under his wing you'll really get a leg up on the craft. I just warn you that it is highly addictive.

Regarding your blank selection; The St. Croix SCIV and SCV blanks are excellent. At the first Rod Builder's Convention I asked the St. Croix blank designer about the durability of the SCV vs. the SCIV. He assured me that the scrim material in the SCV produced a very sound blank which will hold up very well indeed. I have a 5S70MH spinning blank and it is a gem. Very light, very fast, and straight as an arrow. I have no reason to thnk I need to "baby" the rod I will build with it. All rods need to be treated properly. I would expect the casting version to be of the same high quality. My experience dealing with the St. Croix company has been very good.

On the other hand, ever since Andy Dear became a dealer for CTS I have been looking for an excuse to justify the purchase of one of their blanks. I have total trust in Andy far above just about any person or business. I trust his word like gold. After meeting him at the first Rod Bulder's Convention I have always thought of him as a friend. You may take this as being a confession of bias but I would add that it is proof of his integrity. If he had led me astray in the course of our dealings I would hardly be speaking so well of him.
Since you have the enviable budget to afford the CTS price range I encourage you to consider Andy's guidance an added plus. He is, afterall, investing his reputation in the CTS line. If you look at the other innovative products he has brought to the marketplace and the esteem in which he is held among the builders who know him, you can see why I am so keen to encourage yo to trust his guidance. I've read up on the CTS line and it is not just the color selection that makes their blanks special. They have a very infomative web site which is well worth a visit. I hope you make great use of your opportunity.

I wish you well and hope to meet you at the Charlotte Convention.

Dave

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 02:37AM

Keith;
If at all possible; do yourself a great favor by attending the Nat'l Rod Builder's Show in Charlotte, NC on Feb. 25-26, 2006.
There you will have the opportunity to personally compare a huge selection of high quality blanks. In addition, there is an amazing assortment of seminars which are all included with the admission price. See the link at the top of the Sponsors list for all pertinent details. Having attended the previous two conventions I can say with certainty that each show gets better. The upcoming show is shaping up to be far better than even last year's which was wonderful. Where else can you learn so much about rod building under one roof? Nowhere! There are also many discounts offered as show specials so if you can wait until then it is the single best shopping opportunity going. Many sellers will ship items that one is not able to transport. The conventions are great for all, but a beginner can really benefit from the instruction to be found there. Frankly, there is nothing to compare to what the convention offers. Plus you'll get to meet the community of builders. Then, if you can find a good rod builder in your area to take you under his wing, you'll really get a leg up on the craft. I just warn you that it is highly addictive.

Regarding your blank selection; The St. Croix SCIV and SCV blanks are excellent. At the first Rod Builder's Convention I asked the St. Croix blank designer (his name escapes me) about the durability of the SCV vs. the SCIV. He assured me that the scrim material in the SCV produced a very sound blank which will hold up very well indeed. I have a 5S70MH spinning blank and it is a gem. Very light, very fast, and straight as an arrow. I have no reason to think I'll need to "baby" the rod I will build with it. All rods need to be treated properly. I would expect the casting version to be of the same great quality. My experience dealing with the St. Croix company has been very good.

On the other hand, ever since Andy Dear became a dealer for CTS I have been looking for an excuse to justify the purchase of one of their blanks. I have total trust in Andy far above just about any other business person. I trust his word like gold. After meeting him at the first Rod Bulder's Convention I have always thought of him as a friend. You may take this as being a confession of bias but my admiration has been earned. My guess is many of his customers feel the same way.

Since you have the budget to afford a high end blank I encourage you to consider CTS especially for the added benefit of getting Andy's guidance. He is, afterall, investing his excellent reputation in the CTS line. Their blanks are special and it's not just due to their color selection. A visit to their web site will explain the details. Without someone like Andy to guide me I cannot imagine purchasing an item I had no experience with. That is why I like to develop a network of dealers I can trust to lead me through the maze of choices. Andy is at the top of my list of valued dealers. If he is keen on CTS then I am comfortable to go that way when my budget permits.

I wish you well and hope to meet you at the Charlotte Convention.

Dave

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:57AM

Keith

I haven't made any secret about it before on this site. I love the CTS range of blanks and their service. I have built about 8 so far and all those who bought them say they are best blank they have used bar none. I have a couple of my own and they are nearly always the first choice to take fishing. I also agree with quite a few of the other comments above that there are so many great Bass blanks out there that you really can't go wrong. I haven't built on a dud one "yet" but I have built on plenty of good ones. If you have $300 bucks to spend, why not contact Andy and do yourself a favour and get a CTS. You won't be disappointed.

Mark

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 17, 2005 04:58AM

Being from Washington State and close to a couple of Rod blank manufactures. I like Lamiglas, Batson, and Pacfic Bay products. I believe most suppliers on the left carry these products. I also agree with Emory Harry. I recommend if at all possible you should talk with your supplier. Being close to manufactures I am able to visit with threm if I have a problem with their product and discuss what went wrong .
Good Wraps Bob

Date: November 17, 2005 08:41AM

Wow, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post such well thought out responses! I would love to go to the show in Feb., just don't know if I can get that one past the wife. Her problem with my hobbies is time... if I'm not making something, I'm out using it!

In this case, living in a small town has some disadvantages... I have to mail order all my supplies which is really tough when trying to learn products with different "feel". I'm going to work on the wife a little and see if I can get a weekend pass for the convention.

Thanks for all the good info so far!

-keith

Posted by: Ben Rehard (---.dialin.buffalo.edu)
Date: November 17, 2005 10:52AM

I notice on your website that you don't have the price for the casting blanks. How much would it cost for a 6'6" 8-17lbs. extra fast taper series Elite tournament? Can I also customize the lenght of the rod through you or do I half to do through CTS and How much is the extra cost for the customization? thanks a bunch.

Date: November 17, 2005 12:29PM

Hey David,
Thanks for the kind words.....I guess that bribe at the Charlotte show back in Feb. worked huh?

Ben,
Contact me directly via email or phone, and we'll discuss the specifics!

Andy Dear
Lamar
210-845-7456
aldear@lamarreelseats.com

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:10PM

"..In this case, living in a small town has some disadvantages... I have to mail order all my supplies..."

Keith, believe me: you have very small problems with ordering :) Everything is being learnt in comparision, though...

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 03:13PM

I'm not sure about quality slippin with loomis. I like their blanks alot. I have used a couple bass blanks for speckeled trout fishing so don't confine your searches with just blank specific rods. Alot of manufacturers list the same blank under different uses. What are you trying to accomplish? Length of rod, lure weight, casting style? I agree with everyone on here about money not equalling quality. But there are some manufacturers where its hard to go wrong, loomis being one of them, IMO.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster