I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

permagloss
Posted by: len fearn (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: November 16, 2005 11:10AM

hi guys
tried to find pg here in the uk, but ran a uk search and the only permagloss was a nail varnish "gel", is that the one?
or is it something else? as you guys seem to think its nasty stuff so i cannot believe its nail varnish
thanks
len

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: permagloss
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 16, 2005 11:37AM

PermaGloss (PG) is a pre-catalyzed MOISTURE-CURING urethane. It is based in a XYLENE solvent (vehicle). It evaporates quickly and cures quickly upon exposure to ordinary levels of humidity. It has to be laid out thinly for best results, and will give a very hard and very clear finish. It can be used as a rod-blank finish over a properly prepared surface. Use with adequate ventilation and avoid contact or concentrated vapors. -Cliff Hall+++

GO-TO: Perma Gloss [u-40.com]

The ultimate one-part urethane rod finish. For those requiring a water clear, non-yellowing finish that will outlast the rod itself in durability.

The perfect finish for fly rods, light and medium spin rods, pack rods, and all cases where a large bulky buildup on the rod windings is objectionable.

The perfect finish for any rod subject to constant sun and weather. An excellent coating for wood reel seats.

U40-1-PERMA GLOSS 1 oz.
U40-14-PERMA GLOSS 4 oz.

Home
Frequently Asked Questions [u-40.com]
Find a Dealer
Links
Contact Us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2005 01:17PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: November 16, 2005 12:12PM

Cliff

the only one listed over here by their stockist is "U40-208 LS Supreme Duragloss 8 oz", I don't think thats it
len

Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: November 16, 2005 12:42PM

Hook and Hackle carries it.

Joe

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 16, 2005 01:07PM

Try one of our RBO Sponsors, like Hook & Hackle, or GO-TO:
[u-40.com] or [u-40.com] . The vendor can tell you what sizes of PermaGloss are available (usually 1 or 4 oz). While you are at it, Len, now may be a good time to order any Rod-Bond or LS-Supreme that you have been thinking about using - it'll save on your shipping costs. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 16, 2005 03:21PM

Permagloss is not available outside of the continental U.S. It cannot be shipped by air because of the flammable characteristics of the solvent container. No dealer outside of the U.S has it in stock, and they cannot stock it. We have tried for years to send it overseas but are always stopped at the border.
Sorry bout that
Ralph

PS We do supply a water based version of Permagloss, but believe me --- it just aint the same.

Date: November 16, 2005 03:33PM

thanks guys
ain't it always the way when your set on something,
will just use a flexcoat on the wraps then buff up the blank with a good car polish
thanks again
Len

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.179.---)
Date: November 16, 2005 04:06PM

Mudhole will ship it for you. I'm in Australia and get it sent to me here regularly.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 07:22PM

Ralph,

Is that water based version made by Gudebrod? I asked a question about that finish over the summer but all I got was "look in the archives" I did and didn't find any thing relevant to my question. So I found out the hard way. I found the stuff dried soft and it was easy to peel off the wraps with a finger nail. Why would a co. sell a product that gives poor results or did I do something wrong? What I did was I poured some in to a foil cup and brushed it thinly and evenly over the wraps. Is it me or is it the finish?

Randy

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 12:20PM

Randy
Gudebrod don't make Anything. They are merely a marketing organization. We don't us any Gudebrod products.
Ralph

Myles
How does Mudhole ship it to you. If they are flying it, they are doing it illegally.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2005 07:59PM

Trondak U-40 is one of the few companies in the rod building adhesives and finishing game, that actually formulates and makes their own products - most others are just repakaging products they source from elsewhere.

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.187.---)
Date: November 19, 2005 06:48AM

Ralph,

By FEDEX, it is my understand you can ship as long as it is declared on manafest by a cargo carrier. FEDEX plus others ship lot more dangerous chemicals than Permagloss. It is a big no no to ship it by postal services as post usually travels onboard passenger aircraft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster