I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How can you build your own rod dryer?
Posted by: Nick Forliti (---.mn.astound.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:02PM

i have been looking at buying a rod dryer now for some time. they seem simple enough to make but am not exactly sure on how to go about that. if they are difficult to make can anyone give me some advice on a relatively inexpensive rod dryer that will do the trick and where the best place to get one is. i have never used a rod dryer before i only turned my rods by hand but that takes a long time and am getting impatient on the slowness if it and would like to upgrade. any advice is welcome. thanks
nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can you build your own rod dryer?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 11:32PM

Hi Nick,
My first rod dryer was made from an old barbeque rotiserie. They work great but a little noisy. Do a search here and check the photo
section. You will get lots of info and ideas. Very easy!! Also, several sponsors have dryer motors and chucks and they won't break the bank.
If more help is needed just email me. OK?

Good luck

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 05:39AM

They are easy to build 1 old barbeque rotiserie motor, bolt filded down to fit rotiserie chuck, one end cap for a PVC pip11/2 inch in dia, 3 1/4 inch diameter thumb screws about 2 inches long. The screws are put in the end cap to hold the rod. 2 L bracks. The L bracks are scred in to the rotiserie motor. One 1/2 inch plank about 6 inches wide and 8 inches long. You attach the L brackes to the plank to support the rotisiere motor
Good Wraps Bob If this does not make sence email me at warren334@myway.com You have a hidden email address, so I could not email you the directions

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:39AM

Nick drop me an email at jgd1948@gmail.com and I can show you where to get an inexpensive 4 rpm motor. and how I build my rod dryers. I am a retired custom woodworker and I am addicted to rod building but I enjoy building and rebuilding my rod building tools also. gregg

Johnny...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:51AM

Johnny,

Please put the photo on the photo page. Thanks. We are really having a tough time with the available bandwidth on the forum.

Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:59AM

I purchased on an @#$%& a motor 20rpm's and purchased a self centering chuck, took a1x6 cut out for motor and it works fine for rod drying and also for mixing epoxy

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: November 16, 2005 10:44AM

I also built a dryer from a bar-b-q rotisserie and a 2in PVC cap and some 1in wood. 4RPM motor. Total cost about $30 bucks.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: November 16, 2005 12:01PM

I use the timing motors off of surpluscenter.com I have 3 dryers motor set-ups 2-4rpm and 1-18 rpm. For the motors and the wiring for the 3 about $25. You could make a single motor set up for probably $10 max. Use the same PVC chuck as all have mentioned before.

Posted by: Chris Colome (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 22, 2005 01:54PM

Hello, Like Nick Forliti I am brand new to rod building also and need the same information. And i am also a woodworker for many years now so i can make my own rod wrapper and dryer but need the measurments and how to do it information. So if you can please send me the information. Also any information on rainshadow blanks that you know of. I plan on takeing a rod building class at Bob Marriotts Fly Fishing shop in Fullerton Calif. Thank you Chris Colome

Posted by: Rob Heaton (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: December 09, 2005 05:27AM

Microwave motors are good as well
about 6 rpm and gutsey
Cheap if you find one that doesn't work anymore but still rotates
Robert

Posted by: Rob Heaton (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: December 09, 2005 05:27AM

Microwave motors are good as well
about 6 rpm and gutsey
Cheap if you find one that doesn't work anymore but still rotates
Robert

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster