I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need large reel seat for 15WT
Posted by: Ross Andersen (---.elictc01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 09:48PM

I started building my 15WT Big Game Fly Rod on the weekend. I slipped a Pac Bay A9 chrome reel seat on and it was too small. When I dropped it down, it bottomed out and there was about inch remaining on the blank. Can you suggest a bigger reel seat for a large butt 15Wt that will be used in the Salt?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need large reel seat for 15WT
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 13, 2005 10:25PM

For such a heavy rod you may have to abandon traditional looks and go with a graphite pipe seat (spinning) and arbors.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 07:49AM

You may be able to sand that inch and get the seat all the way down ?? It's not that much Then maybe a little reaming on the seat.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2005 08:43AM

Any of the graphite nylon seats that are large enough in ID to fit will work great. And they'll hold a reel better than any other type seat.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.41.34.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 10:33AM

Ross,
Pac Bay makes the AH series of aluminum saltwater reels seats with IDs of 0.82 inches, 0.95 inches, and 1.02 inches. The A9 reel seat, which you have already tried, has an ID of 0.75 inches. While these seats are made for spinning or casting reels, their extra weight might not be too much for that 15wt. They don't come with a cap so you will have to build a fighting butt which you will want anyway. You might also try American Tackle (Sponsor on the right) to see what their seats are like. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Ross Andersen (162.129.176.---)
Date: November 14, 2005 10:50AM

II would like something a little fancier than a graphite seat if possible. This is nice Lamiglass rod. I will look into the Pac Bay spinnig seats. I have alway used prefab handles and the plug style fighting butts. How tough would it be to make a fighting butt?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 14, 2005 11:00AM

I glue and shape several cork rings depending on how large you want it.
After it is done I find a piece of scrap glass blank that fits into the butt nicely. Clean glue into fighting but, let dry. Then glue into the butt of the blank.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 10:36PM

You might like the Pac Bay CL9. I.D. is o.75 inches.

Posted by: Ross ANdersen (---.elictc01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2005 06:44AM

The butt of my blank is 0.77 inches....pretty large for a fly rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster