I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How is POLYESTER thread for guide wraps ?
Posted by: Gary Rauch (---.206.23.209.susc.suscom.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 01:12PM

I found some "twisted color" threads in some appealing colors, but it's - Polyester thread.
[www.threadart.com]

Could it be used for rod building/guide wrapping ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How is POLYESTER thread for guide wraps ?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 01:32PM

That stuff will probablly work based on the words "embrodery machines, polyester, and 40 wt" can't tell from the photo who makes it, but at 2.50 a spool, you can't really go wrong...I may even buy some.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.90.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 01:45PM

i think you should check into that some more BECAUSE of the "machine embroidery " term used at the web site. of the few warnings i read about here in testing new threads, one always rises to the top. some threads have a wax coating on them to help facilitate use in sewing machines. i would imagine any machine. if this has it, it may cause problems. look into it some more. or try a test wrap first.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 02:07PM

Those three terms show me that thread is similar to Madeira...a thread I use on a regular basis. If there is any coating on the thread, it can be overcome with CP. Gary if you're a builder that swears that guide wraps MUST have no CP, be leary of it. as Eric suggests...fish eyes in finish are troublesome, and CP is your friend.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 02:28AM

If you try it, please let us know how it works out...................................Thanks!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 07:56AM

Do a search of this board. I would stay with nylon

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 14, 2005 10:01AM

One of the most popular threads is Madiera, which is a polyester. That stuff from threadart.com looks an awful lot (and could even be) like Madiera. It's not made by Threadart so it could be! Their metallics and twists look interesting also. I intend on trying some. Thanks for the link, Gary

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 11:11AM

Gary,

I have tried a few "off" brands and the only one that really worked well for my is the Sulky Metallic's, I like these BETTER than the name brands in rod building.

Like mentioned, several contain wax and other things that can drive you CRAZY when applying finish. I bought a spool of black and it basically ruined a rod build for me. The rod is still standing in the corner and most likely will remain there until I have time to tear it all down and re-build it. If you do use these off brands, SEAL THEM OUT WELL with color preserver as this prevents most troubles.

FOR THE COST OF SAVING A FEW PENNIES, JUST BUY THE NAME BRANDS, is my policy.....it's not worth it!

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster