I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using old reel seat
Posted by: David Nyberg (---.cbe.md.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 10:02AM

Hello,
I broke a fly rod this year by falling in a stream. North branch of the Potomac, the bottom is like greased bowling balls. Any one fishing wading there should use a wading stick. I use one now. Anyway, the blank maker has sent a new blank and I wish to use the old seat. I heated water and the seat came off easily after letting it stay in the water for about 20-30 seconds. My concern is that the seat retains the epoxy that bound the seat to the old blank. It has a narrow opening. Should I attempt to drill out the epoxy or mount it as is? I am wondering if this narrow opening will provide sufficient strenth with a rod bond or 30 min epoxy applcation? Or should I get a new seat? The blank is the same as the old one. I know some of you experienced builders must have done this before. The blank is the same as the original.
Thanks,
Dave Nyberg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using old reel seat
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:03AM

The one thing that surprises me about your post is the part where you said the old seat came of easily with about 20 or 30 seconds in heated water. Evidently, the old seat was not attached to a blank that had been properly prepared with a water break surface with properly fit up bore, arbors or bushings. If you are using the same type of blank be sure you prepare the seat area properly. I do not know what kind of seat your are using but if you are using a readily available graphite or reasonably priced wooden seat I would think the reuse of the old one may be false economy. Is the hood still in top shape for a new rod that will be with you for a time.

Gon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:09AM

Also I had noticed you said some thing about 5 MIN epoxy. I would suggest going to Rod Bond or a slow curing epoxy. It will be a lot harder to get off the next time though.

Posted by: David Nyberg (---.pfizer.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 02:44PM

Hi,
It was sometime ago that I took the old reel seat off. It wasn't real easy as I had to grip it with a rag and twist hard. It could have been longer than 30 seconds, just don't remember. The seat is a Struble U 3 and it had stayed inplace for a couple of years. The blank is a Sage LLB, 9 ft. 5wt. I did use 30 min epoxy. I think I will take your advice and order a new reel seat, even though the old one appears to be okay. I did prepare the blank, but maybe not as well as I could have. I have usede Rod Bond on two other rods and it is great stuff.

Do you like the Trondak rod finish?

Thanks,

Dave Nyberg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster