I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma gloss over color lock
Posted by: Brian Goodwin (---.nas15.des-moines1.ia.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:07PM

I'm having problems with finish an a rod I'm working on. I don't usually use CP but this rod needed the colors to come out just right for the company I'm building it for. I put U-40 color lock on all wraps about 5 days ago and just now got back to start finishing it. About 5 min after putting a coat of U-40 Perma gloss on it started to bubble and the color lock turned to a milky jel. Both products are less than 2 month old. The strange thing is it only happened on the butt wrap not the guides. I can't figure out what went wrong. Has anyone else seen this happen? What if anything should I do before recoating the butt wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma gloss over color lock
Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:43PM

Odd. I have used permagloss over color lock plenty of times and had no problem. Hard to say. Maybe you should e-mail to the people at u-40 and ask?

Posted by: Joe Barthelt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:02PM

Did you perhaps not wait 24 hours for the CP to fully dry?

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an1.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: November 12, 2005 07:55PM

Had that happen once with a feather inlay and it was because the feathers that had been dipped had not dried completely. Since then have been cutting the CP with 25% - 30% isopropyl alcohol which allows the CP to dry faster and haven't had a problem since. Could be that your butt wrap, with a lot more thread than a guide wrap, acted the same way as the feathers.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 12, 2005 08:38PM

I don't know if everyone noticed but he said the CP had been on there for FIVE days and the guides came out fine. I can't imagine anyway that the CP wasn't dry by then! I don't have a clue but I would guess that something got on the wrap during the 5 days that it was sitting there.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 10:42AM

This makes me wonder if something has contaminated the butt wrap thread but not the thread on the guides. I had a problem with some thread that looked great after I put CP on it, but once I applied the epoxy, it turned the thread black. I repeated this several times using different lots of CP and epoxy. I replaced the epoxy with permagloos and no black. I am convienced that the thread was contaminated with some "unknown" that reacted with the epoxy but not the permagloss. Unfortunately I can not offer a solution to this type of thing, but these type of things happen. (voodo chemistry).

Ed Smith

Posted by: Brian Goodwin (---.nas15.des-moines1.ia.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: November 13, 2005 03:43PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out what happened. I had sprayed this blank with Duplicolor auto clear coat. The butt wrap was an open wrap and I put the color lock on only the threads, did not coat the entire area as I did with the guides. I suspect it was some kind of reaction between the clear coat and the Permagloss that caused my problem. I was able to save the wrap and salvage this project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster