I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to get started building rods
Posted by: Ryan Dunaway (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 02:30PM

I am still young and in high school and i dont have the money to keep having people build me rods and i want to learn how to do it myself it seems like alot of fun and is very nice looking art work that i am very interested in i do all type's of fishing but fly fishing so any tips that you may be able to give me will be loads of help

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to get started building rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2005 04:59PM

You need to arm yourself with a good reference book or DVD. Check your local library first - they just might have a book on rod building, although it's a bit of a long shot in most cases. Have them scour the system in your state to see if any of the others do. Usually they can get any book for you that exists in any co-operating library in the same state.

Understanding the how and why of building a rod is the first step. Once you have reference material and have read it through, you can start selecting materials. Send for as many printed catalogs as you. Browse the dealers websites when you have time.

Where are you located? The National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte will have a basic rod building course which is free with the general admission ticket ($12). It's in February, although it sounds like you don't want to wait that long.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 05:45PM

You will not understand this answer. Print this thread and file it away. About twenty years from now take it out and read it carefully. You will get a big laugh when you see what started you in this wonderful _____________ you name it!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 06:21PM

When you build a rod yourself, its MUCH better than something you get from another builder, no matter what it ends up like. And for some reason you'll fish better with something that you build yourself...I don't know why, it just happens.

Get a book....make your own jigs and tools at first, its cheaper and can be mechanically rewarding ( I started with a cardboard box with "V" notches for a wrapping jig)

If your located anywhere near the Northeast, let me know, I could possibly hook you up with a willing builder that could free up some time to show you the "basics".........Good luck, I wish my thoughts were towards rodbuilding at your age.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 07:52PM

Look in the directory at the top of the page and see if there are any builders located near you. One may be willing to take you under their wing. Get a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman from one of the vendors on the left. It will be the best $15 you can spend. Read the library and FAQ pages above and also ask any questions you might have here and you will get plenty of help. Look on the Photo page under equipment and you will see that you will not have to invest in a lot of equipment. Like Mike said, a couple of V blocks is a good start.
I would suggest that you get a copy of Mudhole's catalog. It's over 100 pages and has a lot of good info as well as giving you an idea of what options you have in components. All of the vendors on the left are good but as far as catalogs go, Mudhole's is by far the best in the industry. Get manufactures such as American Tackle, PacBay, Batson, etc also.

Need any help/info, just holler

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:30PM

Christmas is coming. Start hinting for things you need.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:33PM

Ryan,

Don't hint, come right out an plead!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Bill Drury (---.dn131.umontana.edu)
Date: November 13, 2005 03:25PM

Lots of good advice given above. To whet your appetite, you may want to search the web for tutorials on rod building -- or, go to Mudhole's website (use the link on the sponsor's list of the left of your monitor screen) and look for Rod Building 101 - it has links to a number of such tutorials.

Bill Boettcher made a good suggestion - if you've been a good boy, that is. Kits can be bought from some of the sponsors for not too many bucks; they might fit into your Christmas budget.

Posted by: Ryan Dunaway (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2005 09:19PM

Well thanks alot for what yall have told me i will start picking up lots of books and magazines about it and i live in Gulf Breeze Florida so if any one is willing to help me out that lives around me thanks alot for the help so far i am really clueless so any help is great

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 11:33PM

I started looking into rod building about a month ago or so ago, I got a little hung up on tools....:)

What I think is important is that you order some books, Tom Kirkmans and Dale Clemens books are great. However, I think you'll need a video. I got the flexcoat rod building video.,,,

Another useful thing, probley *most* useful is find a rod builder in your area. I found someone and he is helping a lot. Before you order your parts, talk it over with another builder, so you get the right thing....

I am just about to start my first rod, I am just waiting on a few more things....One more thing, Rod building is an expensive hobby!!!Not to sure how much money you will save!

Peace,
Jeffrey

Posted by: Ashley adkinson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 17, 2005 01:07PM

[www.headsortails.com]

jeffery, here's a link to a place to get your supplies. i live in pace and go there from time to time.

as you may well know, gulf breeze bait & tackle carries a few blanks and items.

better hurry, ling season is comming up ; )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster