I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Berkley Lighted Rods
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 01:37AM

Has any one seen the lighted rods by Berkley? How do they work? Reflective tape or paint or L.E.D.'s and a battery?
I have been trying to design a lighted tip rod for night fishing. I have had a couple of ideas
in my head for a long time but still need to smooth out the bumps. Done correctly this would be a money maker!! However, if it can't be done without adversley effecting performance then it's only a short lived gimmick! Thoughts?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Berkley Lighted Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:22AM

Batteries in the butt/handle powering a bulb that illuminates the light colored glass blank internally. It is not what you would call a high performance fishing rod, but it may work well for the purpose for which it was designed.

Wyle Wiggins has had or has been working on something like that for some time. I'm pretty sure his lighted rod predates the Berkley model by several years.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:41AM

Wylie Wiggins has had it for several years. At one point he had major outfit interested but I don't think anything came of it! It's a pretty cool idea and a few companies have had similar ones byr it never seemed to catch on. Here is Wylies web site [wylie_rods.tripod.com]

Mike

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:53AM

It would be great for the guys around here who catfish at night. Most guys here paint the rod tips with reflective sign paint. Not pretty like a little lED light. Plus the rods aren't excatly high performance so little would be lost by way of the battery and wires....Some of those old catters are stuck in there ways though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2005 10:39AM by Jason Pritchard.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 10:34AM

That would be me!
Thanks for the plug fellas. The manufacturers I have worked with in the past have all fallen through the grid but I am gearing up now to build with tools that should allow greater production.
The Berkley rods did gain very good interest in the forum they were presented for even in the limited size and strength rods produced. Honestly I am left to guess on the illumination, it could have been a type of EL or L.E.D. with the L.E.D. much more likely the source of illumination. These are not being produced any longer or at least at this time because of the manufacturers cost going up for reason I have not been told of. The rods had two light outputs one a flashlight form for tieing and baiting and the other at the tip of the rod. The advertised illumination on 2 AA batteries was 40 hours which would have to be the tip of the rod and most likely not the flashlight setting.
It probably shouldn't be mentioned but a very well known builder has a blank I built for him. He has mentioned a show peice rod he has planned and would like to show at the Charolette Show in Feb.
At this time most rods/blanks of mine that would fit into catfishing forums are not cheap but then top quality and often run the same path.

Shoot me an email Raymond and I'll work on setting something up for you if you would like for me to.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 11:06AM

Thay are almost hypnotic in a way.....They look so silly, but then you look at tham again and they begin to make a sick kind of sense. I produced one (very ugly) rod using a glow-in-dark paint that I used briefly to fish at night for sharks and rays but I ended up giving it to a friend's kid that wouldn't stop bugging me about it. The finish just wasn't holding up to my standards. The paint was activated by a cheap camera flash and lasted quite a while.

I have seen good results from purchasing the stock Berkley glowstick rods, stripping them, wrapping them in white with no CP and then replacing the illuminator in the butt with a high end multi-LED flashlight. The rod was REALLY bright then.

Derek

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 01:47PM

Thanks All,

Wylie,
I will be happy to email you !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 06:27PM

In April at the rod builder's get together in Woodland, Washington there was a guy that had rods with a lazar in them. They glowed in the dark and when they were flexed they flashed. I can't remember his name but they were very cool.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 11, 2005 07:36PM

Thomas,
You are right, the rods/blanks I modify or build do have a laser in them and thank you for the compliment. If I am correct you are the outwrapper that did the power wrapping presentation in Washington. If so I now have a wrapper that is in part based on the parts your wrapper is made from. Thanks for the info!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2005 01:18PM

I have toyed with the idea of a lighted rod, and have found that a solid glass rod works like a fibre optic, light can be transfered up the entire shaft, from the bottom to the tip. This is food for thought .
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster