I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shark Rod
Posted by: Brian Althouse (---.peru.in.ftwayne.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2005 09:30PM

This winter I am going to Florida to fish the Gulf, around Cedar Key for Lemon sharks. I am looking for advice as to what to build. I am looking at a Rainshadow IMU 25-50 lb, FSU 30-50 lb Stand up, or a solid fiberglass. I like the FSU757 because it's only 2.75 oz. But the others are half the price. What do I need? Also will I want all rollers or just roller tip & stripper guide? And what size forgrip & butt grip is best? I'm new to sharks so I don't even know what line I'll need!
Thanks, Brian Althouse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shark Rod
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: November 11, 2005 12:13AM

I live in Tampa. Not sure how well you'll do as far north as Cedar Key for sharks in winter. Summer is much better for sharking, they like the warm water.

Lemon sharks you can get by with 30-50lb tackle, but I'd go heavier. This summer I caught bull sharks in Tampa bay that were tailwhipping 110 lb mono like nothing, as soon as I set the hook. This was using 15-20 foot leaders of 400lb mono with 2 foot of wire at the end.

I use stand up tackle, and found that the softer rods just didn't give me a good hook set on a shark screamin drag.

For blacktips- which are much more common, the rods you mentioned are about perfect.

Shark fishing in FL can range for a bunch of different species and it can be hard to pinpoint which one you are going to get.

Guides are personal preference. The roller stripper and tip only rods work fine, but I prefer to go complete roller or complete regular. For a 30-50 lb rod, Fuji SiC's or the new Amtack turbo's should be good options as well.

Here's a pic of the 466lb bull I caught by myself in Tampa bay in 9feet of water this summer. It was 9' long. Rod was a Japanese custom rod w/ Fuji SiC Turbo guides, reel a Duel 9/0 with 300lb spectra. This heavy tackle and I still lost two fish to broken lines earlier in the evening!

Phil

Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 08:59AM

I build and use short 5' - 5 1/2' shark rods. The shorter dimension gives you better leverage than a longer rod. I like to cut the blank so I end up with about a #20 tip and cut the butt. This will usually produce a rod which progressively places the strain closer to the butt. As for guides the simplest is turbos. Rollers are cool looking but I've not seen an advantage. Also, with a large tip top you can wind the leader through the guide. As for line I would use 80 - 100# test mono. (let your new line trail the behind the boat on the way out to stretch the mono.) Use about a 12 - 15' leader of 500# mono tipped with 3' of 400# stranded cable. Use 20/0 circle hooks for easier catch and release. CAUTION - IF YOU ARE GAFFING THESE FISH ALWAYS GAF NEAR THE TAIL SECTION. MOUTH GAFFED SHARKS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO LAUNCH THEMSELVES INTO THE BOAT CAUSING HAVOC AND DESTRUCTION.

Posted by: Martin Ferral (---.fuse.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 03:00PM

The heavier gear serves 2 purposes: 1 - if you do get a really big shark you have the tackle to handle it. 2- the heavier gear makes for a shorter fight which is easier on the shark (if releasing) and the fisher.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 12, 2005 04:24PM

Dear Brian Althouse - Cedar Key is the point on the Gulf of Mexico nearest Gainesville, FL, where I live. There may be a hush-hush fishery on the Gulf for sharks in our winter waters, but I am not familiar with it. And I've been paying attention for 25+ years.

In the Crystal River area, ~ 30 miles south of Cedar Key, the hot water discharge from the Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant may be what you were told about. There is a winter fishery there for the summer holdovers, and that can include near-shore grouper, and some tarpon or shark. But the water near Cedar Key per se will routinely get below 62 degrees Fahrenheit in winter, and that’s the end of the shark fishing until Spring. Right now (Nov. 12th), the sharking is essentially over now until April.

I have a friend who fishes at Cedar Key specifically for near-shore sharks and tarpon from a rental boat. He hasn’t had a shark in about 4 weeks, since before we had a cold-snap (upper 40’s F, low 50’s F for several nights) that signaled the shallow water baitfish (mullet, pinfish) to find water with more stable temperatures. Apparently, the sharks did the same, and moved back offshore and / or south. There’s not much expected for sharking that I am aware of until a warm March 2006 settles in. In March 2005, my friend Bill got his earliest shark ever, a 7-foot sandbar. He has fished C.K. hard for the last 5 years (10-20 trips each year), and only caught one lemon shark. He is originally from Miami, FL, and says that lemons tend to prefer really warm water. The mainstay of the summer shark fishery at Cedar Key is 2’-3’ black-tip sharks, with the occasional 4+ footer.

Here are some area contacts for the latest information on the saltwater fishing scene in the Cedar Key, FL area:

Gary Simpson The Tackle Box Gainesville, FL (352) 372-1791

Capt Paul Oliver FishBonz B&T Cedar Key, FL (352) 543-9292-(?) - Call 1-352-555-1212 for Directory Information if that's not it.

“TheWeekendAnglerOnLine.com” Telephone Call-In FW & SW Fishing RADIO Show Saturdays: 6am-8am WSKY-97.3FM Gainesville, FL (352) 380-0973

The Gainesville Sun Newspaper Friday’s Sports Section – Fishing
Gary Simpson Tim Tucker www.gainesvillesun.com

Brian, Check your facts independently before you stake too much cash on winter “lemons" in Cedar Key”. - IMO,-Good Luck. Sounds like a great rod you got planned.
–Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++ cmkmhall@ufl.edu

Posted by: Brian Althouse (---.peru.in.ftwayne.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2005 08:25PM

Thanks fellas, that pretty much answers all my questions. I can't believe how helpful this site is. A tribute to rodbuilders!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster