I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip for the day
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 03:58PM

With a retail shop I am constantly hit up for donations and I had to do something. This year I started telling the requests for cash that I only donate to the Special Olympics and give gift certificates when they want merchandise. There are no rods for less than 150.00 in the shop so I give 50.00 gift certificates to be used in the purchase of a rod there by making a smaller profit but still making something rather than losing. When the Angler Clubs have their banquets they always hit me up and there are 7 or 8 of them and one of me so now I give each one four $50.00 certificates and it paid off good, some never cash them in which is not a loss. Even as part time builders you could contact clubs in your area and give them certificates and possibly open some new doors for you. Jesse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip for the day
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 09, 2005 04:03PM

I thought this was going to be another tip.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2005 05:25PM

That's not a bad idea. I know many builders and shops get inundated with requests for donations and it's hard to decide who deserves it and who doesn't. Years ago I started telling the various clubs that asked, to make sure their members let me know who they were with when they bought from me so that at the end of the year I'd know which clubs to support. That did two things - it cut the number of donation requests by 90% and those that still asked actually had members that patronized my business. I didn't mind giving something back to them.

Posted by: Brion Kallinen (---.702communications.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 06:18PM

I like your idea. I think I'll give it a shot. If someone uses the certificate you don't lose any money, just a smaller profit. Who knows how many friends they'll tell. Tom I like yours too. I've been called by organizations asking for donations. I have sent money to some of them along with some business cards, haven't had anyone connected with these organizations order any rods. They say they'll direct people to me, but nobody yet.

Posted by: Anonymous User (12.13.141.---)
Date: November 09, 2005 06:58PM

Jesse:

I have been giving time-dependent gift certificates for $150 off the price of a custom fly rod, to some of the Fly fishing clubs I frequent. Most @#$%& them to their members. Sometimes I get no work when the recipient lets them lapse or forgets about the certificate. Other times I get a bunch of orders. Yes, it lowers the profit, but it gets me more exposure. I do like fellow fishermen with my rods talking to their friends about the custom rod they are using. Word of mouth is powerful advertising.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Steve Pratt (205.241.11.---)
Date: November 10, 2005 06:02PM

I do a lot of begging for a major conservation organization and one of my favorites is to ask for something that is mutaully profitable. A discount on Taxidermy work, or 2 for 1 fishing charters. I see that businesses are getting requests all day and if they gave to everyone, they wouldn't be in business. If you can get a lot of advertising to the right people, for just a little discount on your work, that sounds like a great deal, and the customer is happy if they save some money too.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 09:37AM

Billy, what is it you don't understand about the tip? In your case you can get some generic gift certificates from Office Max and pass them out to the fishing clubs in the area etc. to drum up business. Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster