I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blue/Black Twist Thread?
Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.102.---)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:33PM

Does anyone make a blue & black twist trimar-like thread? It does not necessarily need to be metalic like trimar, just a two colored twist. Anyone?

Thanks,

Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue/Black Twist Thread?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 09, 2005 01:26AM

Q1: "Does anyone make a blue & black twist trimar-like thread?"
A1: I don't think so. Not BLACK + BLUE

Q2: "It does not need to be metallic, ... just a two colored twist."
A2: TRIMAR is not a SHEATHED metallic thread like the HT-Metallics.
TRIMAR comes in SilverTone or GoldTone. See Below.

Gudebrode variated thread? Ricky Wilson 11-01-04
Does anyone know if Gudebrode still makes any version of the multicolor variated thread or is the Trimar type the only think like that they make now??

Re: Gudebrode variated thread? Jeff Fultz 11-01-04
Gudebrod still makes the nylon variegated thread in size A but it is only available in 100 yd. spools. They have a green/black, yellow/black, Orange/black, red/black, and white/black. They call it Classic Twist.

Re: Gudebrode variated thread? Thom.F.Thornhill 11-02-04
Ricky: Gudebrode also makes metallic rainbow #9060.

Re: Gudebrode variegated thread? Cliff Hall 11-02-04
Linda at Summer Moon Rod Works (Sponsor - New Owner STEVE PETRI, Nov.2005) may still be able to provide you a complete 4-page color layout of Gudebrod's Thread line, as they did when they sent my SMRW Catalog in August '04. - Trimar SilverTone or GoldTone is available in 6 colors (black, white, blue, green, brown, red) blended with either (silver or gold).

Re: Gudebrode variated thread? Linda Senft 11-04-04
I do have some Gudebrod color charts if anyone is interested. We also carry National rod winding threads and they make a selection of varigated threads along with some vibrant neons. Linda / Summer Moon.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 08:19AM

I don't know for sure if they have the color combination you want, but Sulky has a large variety of two toned thread. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 09:03AM

Be very careful when using Trimar. If you use more than a couple of strands in a thread band you may have problems with finish separation and bonding to the thread. Check the archives on this as I remember several posts detailing problems with Trimar.

Gon

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.58.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 12:49PM

i would like some blue/black twisted thread too. i think you're referring to what's known as jasper thread. jasper is the design, not a manufacturer. gudebrod offers jasper in nylon A, but not in the blue/black. i HAVE seen it listed somewhere and should have ordered it when i saw it but cannot recall where i saw the thread. it might even have been silk, i'm just not sure. maybe a web search using the words "jasper thread" might turn something up. good luck and let us know what turns up.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 02:32PM

Bill, are you sure that's Trimar that you've been hearing of problems with? I've used this stuff for guide wraps for many years and haven't ever had a problem one with it?

I had to re-wrap a guide wrap of blue and gold Trimar on one of my personal rods last year. Nothing wrong with the bond when I cut into the wrap to re-do it. I'd stepped on the guide in the boat and had to replace the guide.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 02:53PM

If you can deal with Rayons....Robinson Anton has a wide assortment of twists aka jasper aka varigaited.

Posted by: John Pope (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 04:27PM

Madeira makes one, it is called Scandic Melange. You can check it out on the JoAnn website. I am going to get some myself to use on a forecast blank. It is a rayon thread.

Posted by: al hutchison (---.idcnet.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 08:56PM

when listing where you may have got your supplies please list a phone number or a website address so a person can look for it easily

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 10, 2005 10:16AM

TIM H. - Would using a 2-thread band work for you? You could choose the black thread and the blue (metallic?) thread that you like. Wind them on together as a two-some (or 2+1), and see if that achieves an iridescent-like effect, or whatever it is that you are after. You didn't say if this is for an underwrap or butt wrap or guide overwrap, so maybe this is not as hair-brained a suggestion on my part as it may first sound. Just thinking, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: martin_walker (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 11, 2005 01:43AM

You might look at Coats and Clark twisted threads - Oriental Navy, or Blue Phlox - neither is blue/black, but I think Oriental Navy (light blue/navy blue) looks quite sophisticated. I think the your answer depends on which blue you need.

[www.joann.com]

Martin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster