I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How long before i can do 2nd layer of guide wraps?
Posted by: Stephen Altenbach (---.dixie-net.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:29PM

Trying to finish 4 rods before next friday, one is almost done. I only have 1 dryer and it is also my power wrapper. I do have a hand wrapper which I am using to do other stuff. Anyways, i am tripple wrapping the guides, how long do I have to wait for the underwrap finish, or the guide wrap finish, to dry before I can wrap over it. I am using Flex Coat High Build, its been about 8 hours and seems pretty hard, but wrapped guides puts a lot of tension on the finish, i dont want to mess it up or make a mess because I didnt wait.

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long before i can do 2nd layer of guide wraps?
Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:32PM

Probably about two days before you can wrap over it without the thread digging in but you can take it out of the dryer and put it in the corner while it sets really hard. Make sure you keep it in a warm place to help the finish cure faster. DON'T set it outside in a cold garage or basement.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:37PM

Next time use permagloss. As hard as a rock overnight.

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:40PM

What rule says you have to epoxy under wraps ? If the under wraps are on tight , packed, burnished, and a coat of CP , start the next wrap when the CP is dry. I do it that way, never had a problem with the next wrap, or the finished product
never had any guides loosen

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Date: November 08, 2005 08:54PM

David is right. And you can also wrap the guides on in the other direction of the under wrap. makes things a little easyer when wrapping. I do it with the permagloss though.

Date: November 08, 2005 08:56PM

Thanks for the fast responses guys, Im going to have a full 2 weeks ahead of me. So if I have to wait that long between, how long is it before I can at least take it off the dryer and throw another rod on there. Its been about 8 hours today and it seems like it would be fine to at least put in the corner.

I need anohter dryer!

Date: November 08, 2005 09:00PM

When it is not tacky. Does not stick to your finger.

keep some finish in a cup so you don't have to stick your finger in the rod.
I always do. Stick my finger on the rod that is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 09:02PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 10:10PM

Why the triple guide wraps? Or do you mean 1 under and 2 over?
Try hand turning. You have two of them.
I agree with the above post about completing the wraps then apply the finish.
Wrap 2 rods then finnish both at the same time. If you need another dryer
in a hurry, get a barbecue rotisserie until you can get one ordered.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 10:18PM by Raymond_Adams.

Date: November 09, 2005 12:12AM

Thanks guys-

I am building a very heavy standup rod with Winthrop guides, the feet are slightly too big for the rod and hang over some, but lots of builders are putting them on the same blank size I am using. I talked to Chris at the Rod Room who does it all the time and he said at least two wraps over. But I thought most people did 1 under 3 over on large rods.

My first wrap and finish filled in all the overhang and the guides fit like any other guide just fine. Any opinions on double/triple wrapping would be appreciated, If i can cut down on a step that would be great but I do not want to compromise the integrity of the rod--They are marlin/swordfish/tuna rods so they gotta be strong!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster