I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

grit on epoxy
Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:41AM

I am wrapping a dark gray blank with black thread, using flex coat lite epoxy. I cleaned the wraps with a tacky cloth before beginning the epoxy. I did not use a color preservative, using PacBay "A" thread. My problem began when i brushed the first coat of lite epoxy on the wraps, I got a "gritty" appearance. I know I should have wiped it off and started over; but did not;I let it dry; thinking I could cut out the gritmarks with a razor blade; didn't work; put second coat over it but grit showed thru; wiped off second coat efore it dried. Is there any way to eliminate the gritty appearance without cutting the wraps and starting from scratch? Also, what could have caused it?I took care to use cleanliness. (I'm building in an airconditioned room)-gb-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grit on epoxy
Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: November 08, 2005 02:52PM

I don't know. Maybe some grit in your mixing vessel, on your stirrer, on your brush. Retrace your steps. I've never had any problems like this with flex coat lite. Used to use it all the time. You should be able to slice the grit off the hardened finished wraps. Be patient and use a good sharp blade, then put a very thin last coat. Should work great, if you eliminated the source of the grit. Let us know how it goes.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.115.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 04:07PM

can you tell if the "grit" consists of particle matter like dirt? i had some "grittiness" too a few times and i thought they were very small air bubbles. you said you "brushed" it on. so you used a brush? i stopped using a brush and now use the credit card strip method and don't have that problem any longer. it seems a brush can introduce small air bubbles.

either way, try some very fine wet sandpaper, a very small piece to concentrate just on the wrapped portion so you don't introduce scuff marks on the unfinished part. then finish again.

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 04:12PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Bill Drury (---.dn131.umontana.edu)
Date: November 08, 2005 04:36PM

I don't like the idea of cleaning the thread with a tacky cloth.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2005 09:19PM

I think your thread tensioner was set too strong and the thread slightly frayed or the spool of thread may be bad. Do a test piece and back off on the tension. Look at the thread with a magnyfing glass in a bright light. If it appears to be fuzzy that is the problems. If this is the problem there is no fixing it - take the wrap loose and start over. I havehd this happen three or four times and thinking I could apply a coat of finish and trim - eventually redid all of them.

If this is the problem a Class 100 Hepa Filtered Clean Room will not stop it from happening.

Gon

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 10:22AM

Bill: I did just as you suggested after cutting off the wraps and starting over. Thread problem; there are very minute thread "frayings" for lack of a better word that cause the problem. I am using PacBay thread for the first time, and i have no reason to knock the thread, but I could have my tenioner set too tight, or something is causing the thread to have little minute hairs, invisible to my old eyes, on the thread, brought to light by the epoxy. This happened on the wrappings near the butt section, where the tensioner was set tighter than the tip area. Its still baffling to me, but that seems to be the problem. Thanks for all the response-gb-

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 11:32AM

Look on the toos pictorial board and check out the simple cheap home made spool tensioners. They will save you a world of trouble with all types of thread.

Bill

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 01:07PM

Like said, it is better to have tension on the spool and not on the thread itself.
Also be careful of any eyes that the thread is going though. If they have a rough edge it will fray the thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster