I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Varnish removal
Posted by: Walter Dudek (---.bright.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 03:03PM

I have an old Fenwick Steelhead rod. Think it is A 1020 or 1021 graphite. The guides and butt wrap were sealed with old style rod varnish, this was done in the late 70's. Any recommendation of how to safely remove this finish without damaging the finish on the blank ? The rod is in great condition but I want to put new lighte weight guides on it.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Varnish removal
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2005 06:34PM

Just slice the thread from the top of the rod feet, then pop the guide off and grab a thread end and unwind it. It will come off pretty clean compared to epoxy.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.5.42.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 06:42PM

If the finish is really varnish, you might try denatured alcohol. However, I don't think alcohol will be very efficient, but it is unlikely to harm the finish on the blank.I know you can certainly remove it with acetone.

If you use acetone, you must use it in a highly ventilated area. You must also use it judiciously because the finish on some of the early graphite rods can be softened and even peel when exposed to high levels of acetone.

I would begin by trying to snip under the thread wrap at the ring of the guide and peel the wraps off. Once you remove the wraps, you can determine if you need to dissolve the residue or just sand down the rsidue. If you choose the sanding, I would use a very fine sand paper. I use 1200 grit for finishing cork grips and buffing the blank for writing my name on th rod. You can find these fine grit sandpapers at auto detailing stores.

If you choose to use the acetone, I would soak the tip of a rag in the acetone and then hold it over the varnish for a few seconds. Now rub the area with a rag dampened in acetone and then remove what varnish you can. You will have to repeat this process several times to remove all of the varnish. If you notice any softening of the finish on the blank, I would cease and desist immediately. I hope this helps.

I suspect you will hear from many others with their methods as well. Study what every body says and then use the method that appeals to you.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.nas7.atlanta2.ga.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:09AM

I've re-finished 3 bamboo rods this past year, using a solution by "Howard" - "Restore-A-Shine Polishing Compound," fine. Cost about $7.00. I followed the directions on the back of the bottle. Instead of using a cloth. I used the finest steel wool possible, OOOO. The rods came out beautiful and the compound didn't affect the glue holding the bamboo together. Let the polishing compound work for you. I found the polishing compound at an Ace Hardware. This will take you a couple of hours of elbow grease, rubbing. This system was prescribed by a veteran fellow rodbuilder and I can't for the life of me, remember his name. (Getting old ain't for sissies.) Maybe he reads this forum and will input for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster