I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CG1 -Cork
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 08:01PM

At the family dinner tonight my grandmother "in-law" asked me what I wanted for Christmas. So I looked her in the eye and replied "CG-1 cork...the good stuff, very limited pits"...she asked " where do I get it / what does it cost"?.

So thats my question to you....who'd be the best sponser to contact , well knowing I wouldn't actually be seeing the end product, 'till it shows up under the tree...be?

I'm trying to support sponsers here, but I'm also looking for YOUR input on the quality.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CG1 -Cork
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 08:38PM

Angler's Workshop - They hand sort their cork and I've been nothing but impressed.

Disclosure - I have done some work on thier website.

Christian

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:09PM

I believe Andy Dear at Lamar has advertised that he has actual CG-1 grade cork. It's hard to come by and somewhat expensive, but it does exist.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2005 12:27PM

Not sure why my response to this got deleted...I suggested a non-sponsor but someone who has provided some excellent cork to me in the past...hmm....

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: November 07, 2005 01:03PM

Was that Cheasapeake?? What they sell as their Flor grade is not even close to CG1. Not even close. Andy's is much better for the same or less money. Don't know how much he has left but I'd jump on it if you want the very best available.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:04AM

Just curious,but would the REC Ultimate rings rate as CG1 or CG2?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:26AM

You'd have to look at them and compare them to the photo standard. Ask they folks at REC to do it. If they're even halfway objective, and I have no reason to doubt that they are, they should be able to fairly judge which grade their cork would fall into.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2005 09:11AM

Take a look at Golden Witch's A+ cork rings. A bit pricy, but if the rings match the photo they're fine cork, indeed. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2005 07:47PM

Thanks for the leads....I trust the opnions of other rodbuilders through their experience. Working narrow trim bands with "poor" quality cork is a challenge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster