I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast 2wt guides
Posted by: Scott Patterson (---.culp.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 10:07AM

Any recommendations for guides/sizes on Forecast 2wt (4pc)? I recently built a 9' 4wt using Pac Bay titanium sf guides and liked them so will probably go that route - would tamer guide be appropriate on rod this small? Thanks in advance.

Scott Patterson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast 2wt guides
Posted by: Lou Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 12:37PM

I am building the 2 pc version of that rod and am using a single foot Fuji Alconite spinning guide in size 8 and a single foot fly guide in size 8 for the strippers. The remaining guides will be single foot wire in chrome sizes 2 and 1 and I'll use an Alconite ceramic tip top in size 6. I think for a rod this small the wire single foot guides are good enough and provide for a very light rod. Also, the ceramic tiptop helps with shooting line.

HTH,

Lou

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: November 06, 2005 01:57PM

I go down to 2/0 on the 0,1,and 2 wts.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 06:44PM

Scott...

I've used the PacBay Ultra-light wire traditional snakes on several of the Forecast 4pc 2-weights (and all other 4 weight or under rods I've built). I used the PacBay "N" series stripping guides on these rods. The "N" series stripping guides are styled like a traditional snake, so you get a nice clean consistent look. I used the PacBay A5 reel seats with maple inserts (light, functional, clean looking). The Gudebrod blue thread (not the NCP variant) blends in nicely with this blank. Finish your rod, mount a little Galvan Standard reel, and go after those Brookies!

Regards,

Vance

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.253.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: November 06, 2005 11:33PM

i'd suggest EVERYONE use the pac bay N style strippers!!!!!!! i personally really like the look and if demand could affect stock, it would help insure most suppliers would have these wonderfully damned guides IN STOCK!!!! (chuckling).

i've never used a "tamer" guide and usually wrap 7' through 9 ' fly rods, 3 through 5 weights. am i missing something? ok, ok, i should conduct a search, i know... :-)

i haven't made a rod that short. we're talking about the 6'6" 2 wt forecast, right? i would suggest listening to those that have built that size, even contacting batson, they're very helpful, but if pressed and given i generally use size 10 strippers on my rods, i might suggest as lou has a size 8 stripper would be fine for that size.

just trying to help, with waaay too much time on my hands this sunday evening. :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster