I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Would like to try butt-wrapping some diamonds. Need a little advice please. (re-posted)
Posted by: Jason Smith (---.sac.net.va.gov)
Date: November 04, 2005 02:49PM

I have built several high quality flyrods for friends and family. I want to try some diamond wraps for a spinning rod for my dad. Where do I start? Is there a quintessential video or book I should purchace? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would like to try butt-wrapping some diamonds. Need a little advice please. (re-posted)
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 03:15PM

Here is the basic for cross wraps [www.leapinbass.com] The quintessential book would be Custum Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens available from most vendors on the left. There are also numerous books/videos available. Flexcoat has a some pretty nice pamplet tutorials for various wraps!

Mike

Re: Would like to try butt-wrapping some diamonds. Need a little advice please. (re-posted)
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 04, 2005 04:16PM

Mike - you find those FC Pamplets helpful? I'm putting together a few just like it (In color) along with a couple of write-ups for those just starting with wraps, and for those more advanced. Will be unveiled in Charlotte.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 04:27PM

This is a loaded post and the answers you get on this phorum will have all kinds of information. Get some applicable issues of Rodmaker, study other literature, take all of this in and compile those things that seem logical to you and most of all start practicing - broomsticks and hoe handles will do fine for awhile. Here are a few things that come to mind - the list is long for those things not covered.

1. Do some tests on a piece of blank with the chosen colors so you are sure that color bleed through with the finishing technique will not bother you.

2. Learn to locate and mark center on axis and be sure that they are correct before you start. Learn to pack as you go in both directions so you will not shift the crossings and get everyting out of line.

3. Develop a procedure to cut thread sections and smoothly let them slide through you fingers as you rotate the blank. No herky jerky here!

4. Get a very methodical procedure so you can always do things the same way. Be organized - keep up with thread counts and axis. Until you develop natural speed remember this is no race!

5. Don't get too carried away at first with wild thread colors or complex patterns.

6. A chevron pattern, all the threads on one side of the last, will be easier for your first attempts. If a box is done threads are on both sides and they are a little more difficult to get right the first few times you take a whack at this. The chrvron threads will pack easily because there are no threads on the other side that will shift like a box.

7. Be sure you are straight on the tie off procedure and that things are properly secured when you start to cut things loose.

8. This might sound strange but I would recommend that you start pulling at least a two thread band. It is quicker and easier to pack because there are less crossings. As your skill develops you may end up pulling six or eight thread bands quite easily. A band is easier to pack than single threads.

9. Arrange you work area where you have good lightling, elevation and your hands are at a comfortable height. You want your rod in a slightly secure postion where you can easily rotate it without too much trouble and firm enough where it will not spin if you take your hands off of it while working with thread.

10. Use A thread and a good metallic that you like. I use J Metallic and have had difficulties with a lot of metallics - tension problems, color peeling. To start, keep your bands of thread less than 6 or 8 threads wide for nylon and two for metallics.

11. You will find that doing an underwrap below your pattern will allow you to keep the threads in place without shifting. Be sure an completely pack the underwrap. Match the underwrap to color shifts of the underlying blank color.

12. I would not try a closed pattern for the first few attempts. These things can be very frustrating and may get to you pretty quick and cause you to give up.

13. Ask shrink for a change in medication. Set limits on your time and do not forget you may have a better half and a pet inside the house.

14. Find a builder near by, look in the directory, give him or her a call and arrange a visit to watch them work! The light will go off in your brain quickly this way.

I ran out of time and there are 100s of other things that will assist you in this endeavor. The most important of all is practice and figure out a way that will be best for you.

When you think you are ready to issue a challenge to Jim, Doc, Hiro and Mark and post a picture!

Gon (and believe it or not 1st since Katrina) Fishn

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2005 06:41PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: November 04, 2005 04:58PM

IMHO a hands-on class with a pro is the best start. Next is videos. Then books with pictures. There are sooooooo many little ancillary things you need to learn. The pamphlets are helpful, once you know *how* to wrap.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: November 04, 2005 05:12PM

The best instructions for basic diamond wrapping are in the book Rod Building Guide by Tom Kirkman. Step by step photos with text to accompany each and every step. A monkey could learn to do it with these instructions!!! $12 to $14 for the whole book and it has 100 color photos of all sorts of rod building stuff.

Once you learn to do the diamond you can pretty much do any other wrap. You just need ideas or patterns which you can find in the Clemens book Custom Rod Thread Art, but that one won't teach you the basics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster