I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

repainting blank
Posted by: david williams (---.226.6.201.formysite.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:53PM

have done a search on this and now have a couple questions
i have repainted a few blanks with the krylon fusion and then top coat with the
spar varnish and have found out that it is not very durable
so my questions are
(1) can i apply the permaglos over the spar or do i need to strip it down and start over ?
(2) if i read every thing right the automotive paints and permaglos work okay together
so which would be better the automotive clear coat or the permaglos (which would be more durable)?
(3) if i use the permaglos and apply it with the foam brush method with a hole in the brush when i have finnished applying it how do you set the blank aside to dry
are you standing it up on its end hanging it up ? if so how are you hanging it up
if standing it up how do you keep it from falling over?
THANKS FOR ANY HELP YALL CAN GIVE ME ON THIS

david williams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: repainting blank
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 11:32PM

David,

If your going to overcoat with PemaGloss you need to let the rod set for 3-4 days to make sure it has completely dried and cured. The PG is pretty hot stuff and will take evrything off if it's not fully cured. 2 pc rods I let hang verticaly from the floor joists in my basement, by bungee straps with a spring clamp attached to the non painted part of the blank. I've not done any 1 pc. yet, but I would get a 1/2 gal mason jar or something similar to sit the blank in while drying / curing. Hope this helps. Someone else may chime in as well.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.2.28.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 11:55PM

I am certainly not an expert, but I wondered how to position the blank for drying when I was refinishing an old rod. I figured out a way that worked well for me. I had a scrap piece of 1" x 12" shelving material, about 15" long. I drove a long finishing nail in the center, so that it protruded about 2". The butt end of the blank fit over that, the the nail was long enough to keep in from falling over. I've used this several times now, and it works well.
Steve Broadwell
bcrods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 06:27AM

Dave,If the blank is hollow thenail on the board will do the trick just use a multiple of nails to build up the space or use masking tape to shim it up.I have also in the past hot glued a tip top but did not seat it all the way down,I then used the top to hang the rod from the ceiling joist.This method leaves a little blank unfinished but that wil be covered by the tip anyway.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 06:58AM

I have a finish nail driven into the wall angled slightly upward coming out from the wall. I just stick the hollow butt of the blank over the nail and the blank hangs almost horizontal in a corner of my shop where there is no traffic. This has worked great for me so far.

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:48PM

THANKS ALOT GUYS THIS HELPED A BUNCH
been scratching my head trying to figure out how to hang the blank up while it dried
hadnt thought of using nails
THANKS

david williams

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 04, 2005 12:59PM

tape on a paper clip to the end of the blank and hang it from a coat hanger formed to fit over a door.
If a tip section stick on a scrap piece of blank then do the same.
BUT make a gaskit of 1/4" tape to push up against the femail end of the tip section so any finish does not seep in and glue them together. careful when coating too the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster