I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice From The Masses
Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:11AM

A customer wants me to build him a rod for fishing Mangrove Snapper. He says he is hard on his equipment, and he fishes shallow under oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico for these fish, and has to horse them out quickly to keep from getting broke off by the rig legs.
He gave me a Falcon 7' 20-40 LB rod to go by, but he wants it a little heavier, say 50 LBs.
He said they used to use G Loomis rods but they kept breaking them.
He uses a Penn 975 reel on it, and casts maybe 40 feet to the target.

Can some of you suggest a 7' blank to do what I have described? Would E Glass be a better choice than graphite in this situation?

Thanks,
Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice From The Masses
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:16AM

If they're abusing their rods, and I have no doubt that they really don't know how to apply pressure with a fishing rod (you don't break rods by pressuring a fish), then yes, something like Eglass will be easier on you in the long run. Of course, they'll pay a price too - in a heavier rod that is less efficient. But if it's the only way they can keep them in one piece, you have little choice.

Lamiglas still makes some great glass blanks. So does Seeker. Those are the two that come to mind. I'd visit the websites (Lamiglas' link is to the left) and see what they have to offer. I would think any of the light to medium saltwater models would do well. I'd stick with a fast action model if at all possible.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:09AM

Larry,
Maybe look at the Calstar E Glass blanks as well. One of my favorite blanks to build on is the 870 and the 870H.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2005 10:10AM by Randy Search.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 10:15AM

Hi Larry you might also take a look at the following CalStars 670H, 270H and GF 700M. All pretty formitable rods. I agree Glass is probably the safer bet but Graphiters are pretty bullet proof. Are they using braided line?

Date: November 03, 2005 10:37AM

James(Doc) Labanowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Larry you might also take a look at the
> following CalStars 670H, 270H and GF 700M. All
> pretty formitable rods. I agree Glass is probably
> the safer bet but Graphiters are pretty bullet
> proof. Are they using braided line?

Yes, Doc, they are using braided line.
Can you suggest a graphite blank to try?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 11:00AM

Maybe look at solid glass blanks.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 11:18AM

GUSA are made for this fishing. I've used a 80 Monster Mag for Muttons/Groupers the past 2 years in the Tortuga's (2 trips only). Other GUSA blanks which would be great are the SW70H-Plus & 70 Monster (I'm building both for myself for next years trip to Nicuragua)

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 12:11PM

Larry,
Glass has two advantages over graphite in your customers application. It is harder than graphite so it is less likely to be damaged by hitting it on something and it is about four times as tough (four times the strain energy) of even the low modulus graphites so it is much less likely to be broken from hard use. However, as Tom points out glass has about four times lower modulus so it is heavier, less efficient and less responsive.
In my judgement glass is often a better choice in heavy boat rods that get rough use. You might also want to consider some of the graphite blanks that have a higher glass content that are designed for these same type of applications.

Date: November 03, 2005 01:00PM

Just curious, why is he using a 975 for 50#? He should bump that up a bit if he really wants to yank fish away from the rigs. If he sticks with the 975, it's really not a good match for the heavier solid glass rods. How big are the Grover's he's catching?

Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.eim-co.com)
Date: November 03, 2005 01:09PM

Larry - dont know if you will get this but a stand up rod for the gulf is pretty much the thing to use. I have used the Calstar 670H and it works great! It is a little short, but it works. And the tip is light enough to help set the hook better - also, I saw no one recommeneded the 6 - 7 foot solid glass blanks from Shakespere. Those work so well, and they dont break - they are throw in the corner , use 'em and use 'em

take care

Date: November 03, 2005 01:22PM

Thanks for all the responses. I gave him a price on a Calstar GF700H and he decided to order one from Bass Pro.
He can get one from there for much less than he can get a custom one from me. (and I don't have to worry about the warranty)

Date: November 03, 2005 02:10PM

You don't have to worry about the Warranty on a Calstar, because they are virtually indestructable. Unless he intentionally breaks it using a saw, a door frame, a ceiling fan, or drives into the overhanging sign at a Burger King (Steve Parks, lol!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster