I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork handle problem
Posted by: Aaron Laird (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 07:03PM

I normally have purchased premade handles but thought I might try turning one for my most recent rod. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and found that the shape and texture turned out exceptionally well. However, I am concerned about the color of the cork rings. They started out fairly uniform in color, but after my lathe work, the individual rings can still be seen because of a noticable color variation between rings. Is there a stain / finish / and or technique that I can use to make the rings more uniform in color and make the handle more pleasing to the eyes? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork handle problem
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 07:17PM

Cork is a natural product and the differences in color and shade variations are some of the things that make a really well done cork beautiful. Uniformity of shading would be considered by some as a detriment. If you are interested in blending shades together consider the the use of Cork Seal. It will do a light darkening and improve the service of the cork pieces. If you want to stain and seal the Walnut Stain and True Oil and Conditioner by Casey True Oil will give a more consistant appearance. This treatment will result in very dark areas where the cork was sealed with filler before turning. If you do not like any of the above you can flock and give the cork just about any appearance you want. Custom Rod - You Can Customize Just About Any Appearance You or Your Customer Desires!

Gon

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2005 08:14PM

Bill brings up a good point about the natural variation of the cork. Besides that, once the rod is used a time or two, you'll have the same shade of grime over the entire grip. That usually takes care of any random differences in color.

Other than that, you have to go the other direction - bleaching the rings so that all are a uniform cream/white color. But, it's not going to last beyond the first use.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 04:53AM

Tom and Bill are correct in their statements about cork. What I do when I run into a color shade problem. I work out a pattern in the color shades of the cork . like alternating shdes of the cork light ,dark, light drak or putting a dark cork at each end and then putting a couple in the center of the handle. Once they are glued in place and shaped. I finish off by burishing the cork rings at a high speed with one of my wifes old nylon stockings. When this is done I give it a coat of cork sealer
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster