I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

filling tunnel under a locking wrap
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 04:32PM

I have just finished wrapping my first spiral rod and I used Forhan locking wraps on all the single foot guides. There is no obvious tunnel left to fill with epoxy. Is there something I did wrong or is there something special I need to be aware of as I put finish on the wraps?

Thanks,

rhr

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: filling tunnel under a locking wrap
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 05:05PM

The tunnel is still there, but, the locking wrap covers the end. I just saturate the wrap until the gap between the thread, guide foot & blank is full of finish. My first coat is a flood coat. Any successive coats are thin ones, IMO. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 02, 2005 05:47PM

Ain't it great? Everyone else is complaining about that tunnel and yours is gone! Seriously, use a thin first coat to saturate the thread down to the blank. I suppose you can use a toothpick to apply some finish there first, then flood the rest of the wrap. I rarely use a locking wrap, but do use a blocking wrap whenever possible to block the tunnel. Much cleaner wrap, because the finish stays on the thread.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.2.28.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 08:13PM

I have worried about this a lot. All the rods I have made so far, I used CP. From what I have read here, the CP prevents the epoxy from going through the thread to fill the tunnel. So, I have been using a toothpick to put a small drop of epoxy in exactly the right place, and it runs down the tunnel. Sure is time consuming, though. I think with the next rods I will not use CP, and see how that works.
I really don't want to not use the Forhan Locking wrap. It appears to give quite a bit of extra stability to the SF guides.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.3.247.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 10:33PM

I Forhan wrap all single foot guides. For the benefit that it provides, for so little effort, I can't imagine not doing it. I very rarely do anything without CP and have found on stuff that I've done and stripped, the CP itself fills tunnels quite well. I will say though, that the more time you put into prepping your guide feet, the smaller the tunnels will be in the end and you really won't need much of anything for a bit of a shoulder to build up. Just put your finish on and you should be fine. If it is a heavy duty rod, you are still a bit worried, and you aren't using CP, I would suggest either thinning your finish the first coat or two, or using several coats of something thin to begin with, like permagloss or varnish, then finishing with an epoxy type, if that is what you are going for.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 11:20PM

You don't need a toothpick or any sort of tool to fill the tunnel. Working quickly apply a thin coat of finish beginning at the end of the guide foot and work your way back toward the frame right up to the edge of the guide wrap, but not over the edge. If on an underwrap be careful and use only a thin coat - do not use so much finish that it pools up and caps off the end of the tunnel. Turn rod "guides down" and let set for 5-10 min. The finish will wick through the tunnel and completely displace the air.

Using this procedure I cannot remember the last time I had a bubble left under a guide wrap. It works pretty well.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster