I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming cork
Posted by: Keith Terlinden (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 12:57PM

Looking for help. I build on handle kits from time to time instead of rings. Is there a company out there that can make a drill bit with the same taper as the blanks I use?

Thanks Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2005 05:17PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming cork
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.att.net)
Date: November 02, 2005 01:03PM

KEITH, i have a set of three different sizes of rattail files. i use these as a start, reeming slightly under size. cut the tangs off and chuck them in a drill and turn them backwards (counter clockwise) they will do a nice job. i then follow with some reamers i bought from anglers workshop. i think they were called razor wands. they are three different size graphit rod sections with some kind of abraisive glued on. i use these to hand finish the hole. there are so many rod tapers that all you can expect is close. if i did not get them at anglers workshop i may have bought them at mudhole. it has been a while. hope this helps.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 02, 2005 01:45PM

You do not have to match the taper of the blank perfectly when reaming out the cork. The best setup that I have seen is using the Flexcoat abrasive strip and gluing it onto a rod blank. Custom Tackle I think now has a kit using the abrasive to make reamers.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 02:24PM

Golden Witch also has a set of 3 rat tail files that will cover just about any rod butt size. Follow Larry's directions and reaming is an easy task. The rat tail files will not leave any grit in the grip which could possibly scratch the blank.

Posted by: Keith Terlinden (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: November 02, 2005 08:04PM

The majority of the sticks I build are on Diamondback musky blanks with 1 1/2 inch cork. I build about 200 a year and I was looking at a way to simplify my process.

Thanks for the help Keith

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 04:49PM

If you are needing a certain size cork reamer we and Neal's Fishing Products will make them up for you? Just let Neal know what Outside diameter you are wanting and Neal will get it as close to the size you are needing.

Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 03, 2005 05:15PM

That sounds like a really good deal.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 03, 2005 09:57PM

My favorite cork reamer used FlexCoat tape and an old golf club bought at a thrift shop for $1.00. I cut off the head and cleaned-up the handle area. Also. a short tapered segment of fiberglass rod tip was glued into the small end of golf shaff - dropped thru from inside the shaft. Works very well & covers a wide range of taper requirements. Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster