I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

steelhead rods
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.17.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 11:11AM

Who here is a Steel head rod builder ?
Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2005 06:10PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: steelhead rods
Posted by: Don Putvin (---.hctc.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 12:43PM

I have been known to build a few.
OK, I have 9 in work right now, and 7 more blanks sitting and waiting.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 01:39PM

Guess it was you who sent me the Email. Sent a reply.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 04:07PM

I have eight of them underway now. Six spinning rods for professional guides and two spiral wraps for other clients. Be happy to help if I can.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 06:30PM

i am a die hard steelhead fisherman..

Posted by: Dan Colville (---.bflony.adelphia.ne)
Date: October 31, 2005 06:38PM

Hey Bill. I have only built 8 rods that are not for steelhead. I am on rod 23 and 24 currently that i have built. I also have refinished 3 steelhead rods. I can help in any way possible from handle lengths, to guides, to seats, to butt wrap placement. All ifish for are steelhead. I landed over 60 in the past few days. Drop me an email if you want any info or ideas for a rod you are building.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 08:05PM

Built a few here in the Pacific Northwest. Xmas orders started about a week ago. Only two fly rods so far, the rest mostly casting drift rods.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 08:41PM

most of us are in suspence.i hear see or hear the word steelhead and i want to set wood,, feel the violent head shakes of a good size steelie and watch them cartwheel up or down the river...it's almost that time of year again.oooh, i can't wait.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:23PM

Thanks for the replys guys.
Think the salmon are running up here in NY.

I asked about the rod cause a caller wants to though 1/4 OZ on a 10 ft steel head rod. That relates to a 6 weight. Seemed a little light to me and I was wondering about it. The longer you fight them the more chance they die.
Wating for a call back from him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2005 06:11PM by bill boettcher.

Re: steelhead rods--new
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:56PM

I agree with you Bill, I only use the light stuff from a boat where I can stay on top of them and get them in fast, and only if the presentation requires it.
The water out west can be pretty heavy and having them leave the pool from the bank I've killed some natives in my younger years on light rods like a 1141. Now I use at least a 3 power from the bank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster