I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Net Handle Wrap
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 05:13PM

Question for you guys that wrap your net/gaff handles. I want to wrap a net handle with a 1/4" multi-color nylon twine. I was planning on using shrink tube on the ends of the wrap. Do you use adhesive such as Rod Bond under the twine? What about on top of the wrap? Do you use anything to protect/help keetp clean the wrap?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Net Handle Wrap
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 05:52PM

I use double stick tape to hold the twine in place till I secure the ends. Shrink tube will work, I usually do it fancier with an inlay thread wrap. I put color preserver over the entire cord to help lock it in place. I've seen them done with rod finish but I don't care for that look or feel.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:04PM

Hi Mike, It depends on the type of cord I use. Sometimes I use regulation butt cord that comes in a ball or sometimes I use the fancy florescent twine I find at Home Depot that is smaller diameter and smoother. I use color preservery on both but if it is going to take a lot of abuse I might hit it with varnish. I finish off the ends with turks heads and I dont use anything to stick the cord down because I start it like I do any flat wrap like a guide. Helps it lay flatter if you unravel the bit you are going to wrap over. Something els fun to do is wrap a handle of a Net or Gaff with cork tape and leave about 3/16" gap betweeen tape edges then fill it with two colors of butt cord. You can still finish it off with shrink tube or a turks head.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 11:06AM

On cord wraps I use dilute elmers glue as a CP and to hold things on place. MUCH cheaper than using Flexcoat or similar preps, and it works fine as long as your finish coat is completely waterporrf. I think I know what cord you are using as well. The rainbow stuff that progressively changes from one color to the next right? I have been looking at the same stuff myself and wondering. Was thinking of wrapping a poke pole handle with it. If it is like the other cords it has a center cord that can be removed. Take out the core of a 2" section or so, fray the ends and then compress ith tag end with heat. It will lay down nice and flat then. I agree with Doc about the Turk's Head Knots.....They are really classy looking but I just can't get them figured out.

I do a lot of cord wraps. Keeping the cord from getting a lot of twist in it can be a serious pain.

dsrtegl2004atearthlinkdotnet

Derek

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 11:50AM

For help with turks head knots , check out this site, really good illustrations and instructions on knots of all types including the turks
[folsoms.net]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 04:50PM

Thanks, guys!! Derek, that's the stuff. I'd love a Turks head but not with my 10 thumbs!!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 07:51PM

Jim, thanks for that link.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster