I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Pains of Peel n' Stick Decals
Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:17PM

Ordered some peel n stick decals for some customers rods. I recieved the order a couple weeks ago and due to the time constraints I ordered the peel n stick decals just because i find them to be quck to apply. Im using perma gloss to seal the rods and when i applied it to the decal it began to almst bubble up and crack and some of the letters smeared slightly. I would never let them leave my shop looking like this so im opting to order some water slides to correct this problem. Ive never dealt with the water slides so im wondering what i must do different to apply these to the rod and what is the best way to remove the old peel n sticks. Also has anyone ever experienced what ive described with the peel n sticks using water slides before??
Thanks,
Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Pains of Peel n' Stick Decals
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:35PM

Permagloss be some hot stuff; it'll lift yer hair if ya get too close to it!! Seriously, it does have a hot solvent in it and you should put a light coat or two of Krylon clear or an artist's fixative over any decal before spreading Permagloss on it.

It'll curl yer toes!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:40PM

I've had the same problem with waterslides. Permaglos eats the letters away very easy, even on fish decals. I just use regular LS Supreme for over decals instead.

Phil

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 09:21PM

A coat of color preserver applied before the finish should stop that from happening.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 09:37PM

I've never had that problem (or any problem for that matter) with waterslides.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 08:42AM

I for one can say that I'm not too happy with waterslides. no matter how hard I try, I always seem to get an tiny air bubble or 2 with them. Probably my inexperiance I'm sure, but having worked with large peel and sticks in the past (for commercial trucks), the peel and sticks are a BREEZE for me.

The only thing I really like about waterslides is the thiness of them. I despise cutting them, soaking them and trying to place them "tiny bubble free". I've used a coat of epoxy under and none at all, neither seem to change the outcome.

Guess I'm a peel and stick guy :)

But as to the question, I've never had a smear problem with either.

DR

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2005 09:45AM

Duane,

Not sure if you have tried them, but the New Waterslide Decals from Jimi at Decal Connection rock! I'd never used them before, followed the directions, and perfect results every time. The stuff is very forgiving and fairly strong. Only problem I had was with super long, very thin strips being a bit of a pain, and permaglos likes to wipe the gold lettering off the decal, so don't use permaglos on them anymore.

Phil

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 01:13PM

Thanks Phil !

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster