I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some help please.
Posted by: Nicholas Christie (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 07:06PM

Well, I have never ever done this, and I have had alot of people tell me that it’s well worth the work. So, what do I need to do first? I know get the blanks, but what are some beginner blacks? I know practice makes perfect (and I am 14, so I have no money, besides holidays), and since I fish, I think that I have the patience. so all of your information is greatly appreciated, and very helpful.
Thank You,

-Nicholas Christie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some help please.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 07:42PM

The first thing that I would suggest is to get a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. It will be the best $15 you could ever spend. It will take you step by step with over a hundred photos and is well written and geared to the novice builder. You can get it from most dealers to the left.
I would also recommend that you go to www.mudhole.com and request a free catalog. It's 100 pages of pix and info of what's available to the builder. All of the dealers on the left are reputable and some carry items that others don't, but their is no retail catalog to compare with Mudholes.

Read the FAQ's, Glossary and Library above and check the directory to see if there are any builders listed in your area.

Mike

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.93.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 08:18PM

Hi Nicholas,
I was 14 when I built my first rod, and there was no such thing as the internet and no books that I knew of. You are really in a sweet spot! I'll second what Mike said, and also recommend you spend as much time as you can in here reading archives. I stumbled onto this site about two years ago and spent a couple months just reading and taking notes. I was amazed at how much I learned just from that. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Nobody in here will ever call you out. Quite the opposite, in fact. People here will bend over backwards to help folks out.

You don't need much money to build a sweet rod, and you can always strip and rebuild the same rod, or even cheap store bought ones as many times as you wish. I have a cheap, store bought Shakespeare that I'm rebuilding myself right now, just because I'm bored and it's a sweet little rod that I know I can only improve on.

You're gonna have fun with this, and like the rest of us, become hopelessly addicted.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.81.57.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:31PM

Hi Nicholas!

Hummm 14Yrs old.Stay there!!!! Can't remember that fare back when I was (14). But hoeever I do remember how I got hooked on this monster of a thing Rod Building.Addictive that it is. If you smoke which I hope you don't ( QUIT). You'll need the money for this addiction. A better one at that.
Here is how I got started.Was at a yard sale wondering around with wife (hate yard sales)and I came acrossed a hand wrapper by flex coat.However at the time I didn't know what it was,I asked the man who had the sale what is this?He told me, and he said that he had two books there some place.He found the books and handed them to me.I looked throught them and thought it would be fun building my own rod.
Asked the man how much he wanted and he said $12.00 for it all. Done deal!!! And hooked which I didn't know at the time.
Got home and was looking at the books and found a slip of paper with a companies name and address to order parts.Found me the cheapest kid there was.I think it was three weeks later I got my kit.I know it seemed like it took along time,however I was like a kid at Christmas.
Been building ever since and refurbishing old rod that I find at guess where????( YARD SALES).Only as a hobby for me.
You go to the left of your page to the sponsors and click onto Mud Hole Tackle and you can get the same thing I started out with but not for the same price.

Flex coat traveler rod wrapper ew-1 $32.74,or hw1 $60.86
Flex coat paper back-Step by step rod building and
How to wrap a rodwith Gudebrod both books at $6.95 each

Since then I have gotten the book Rod building by Tom Kirkman,Good book and the DVDby Flex coat How we do it.That was great alsoMy next puchase will be the DVD by Ken Preston.

Good luck what ever way you choose<<<< DON FROM HOBBY RODS>>>>

P.S. Still have my first Rod, don't look the best but wouldn't part wiyh her.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:10PM

Hi Nicholas,

Fairly new Rodbuilder here also. Do what I did: Go to the very last page on the forum postings, which will be postings from when Tom first started the forum, and start reading to this page. You'll be amazed at what you will learn, I sure was. Get Tom Kirkman's Book, The Flex Coat DVD or VHS Tape, Ken Preston's DVD. Once you've watched and read all this and practiced some and have the hang of assembling and wrapping everything, then comes the gravy, or as some guys say the glitz and glamor of rod building. Get some of the rodcrafting books by Dale Clemens, they will show you how to make some dazzling butt and guide wraps. If I had it all to do over again I wish I had found this forum long before I did. Most importantly: Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes give you an opportunity to learn. If you need to ask a question, don't be afraid to come here and ask the experts. You will find that they ALL are willing to help in any way they can. Oh, I almost forgot, subscribe to RodMaker Magazine. It's a must have for todays rodbuilder.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2005 03:17PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 12:07AM

Nicholas,

Mike gave you good advise. Definitely get "Rodbuilding Guide" and read thru it a bunch of times to get started.

Check out all the other resourses on this board - it's a library of real good info.

Click on "tackleworks.org" to see if there's a builder in your area that might be able to help get you oriented.

For building practice, start to accumulate some old rod discards to practice with (flea markets, thrift shops, dumpsters in coastal areas, etc).

You're in for a very good experience since you already are interested in fishing. Hope this helps.

Stan

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:40AM

Hi, Nicholas.

I wish I'd started earlier like you. The advice above is very sound; reading back things will help you a lot. This web site is by far the best one out there! The info in the back posts will help you a lot.

Reading books and posts is great, but seeing is the best by far. If you can get hold of someone who knows how to build, then add to it from this site, you'd be in good shape. There's articles and pics on how to build your own wrapper or even use a cardboard box for a while.

If after a week or so, you're still itching and can't find a local builder, give me a shout on my email and I'll send you a DVD or two of mine and it'll help you start wrapping guides and little things like that, anyhow.

Lots of luck,

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 07:10AM

Christmas is coming ! Hint around. Start telling people you are going to build rods. You need things like the Two Dale Clemens' books Tom's book maybe some DVD's Etc.

This board has a Search. Use it to get to find out what people like and don't like to use as finishes, CP's, blanks There is a load of infor here.

If you have some old rods you don't like you can strip them down and rebuild them even better then they were.

Posted by: Nicholas Christie (69.111.108.---)
Date: October 30, 2005 10:50AM

Well, in about 3 to 4 weeks, I will have a catalog that will tell me some things, and as I type I am starting to read at the very end pages so when I get my hands on some blanks, I know what to do. Thank you all so much for the help, it really help.
P.S. I don’t smoke Donald Newenhouse, so that gives me more money to buy stuff with.

-Nicholas Christie

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 11:40AM

Nicholas,

Your E-mail address is hidden so people can't e-mail you. You need to go to the My Control Center button near the top and click on Edit My E-mail Setting and confirm you e-mail address so people can E-mail you.

If you need any help, feel free to e-mail mr mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 05:08PM

As Mike said un-hide your email address and let us all know where you are located. With all the rod builders that visit this site I would bet that there is someone close to you that would be more than willing to give you some help on your journey into rod building.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2005 08:02PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 06:40PM

Nicholas,
I have hand built wooden rod jig and you are welcom to it
Send me an email if you want it. no cost!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 01:56PM

Welcome aboard Nicholas!!

Read everything starting with the Rod Building Guide mentioned above, everything will fall into place with a little time and practice. Good luck and if you ever need anything, just click my name and shoot me an email.

DR

DR's Fishing Site

Posted by: Tim Connell (---.onspeed.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 05:13PM

Hi Nicholas!

I built my first rod when I was 13 - it was on a split cane blank from a clearance sale and I've never loved any rod more than that one!

After a break of some 23 years I started building my own rods again this year - the thrill of catching a fish on a rod I've built myself hasn't dwindled in all that time.

I have to say that I learnt SO much from this forum, without which I would still be trying to fathom out the complexities of EVERY aspect of rodbuilding - I wish I'd had access to the same wealth of experience and knowledge back in 1983!!

My advice (for what it's worth) is not to spend too much on your first couple of rods. I started by getting expensive blanks and components - the results were good but not a good as the rods I am building now (currently on numbers 6 and 7). Ironically I'm now building on cheaper blanks (but then I smoke!!!!!)

Good luck - I hope you get as much pleasure out of this crazy hobby as I do (I even make a bit of money out of it now by building rods for friends!!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster