I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marblizing, Help
Posted by: Chris Cowan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 01:30AM

I'm new to the forum, and just found the marblizing and think it looks great. I tried it for the first time tonight, but have a few questions: how much "testers" hobby paint do you add to the high build? I'm useing the enamel paint (it was ez to find) should I consider something different? thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marblizing, Help
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:15AM

About any enamel pigment will work ranging from Testor's, paint store's paint pigments, artist's paints, Liquid Leaf and many others, too, such as powdered pigments.

How much to mix in? Put it in one drop at a time until an opaque mixture is obtained. Stir each drop well. Too little and it will let colors under it bleed through, too much and it won't harden as normal.

Testor's works great, BTW.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 07:12AM

There's a handy step by step article in the library by Mike Barkley on this too Chris.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:15PM

Ok guys,

I have to admit that I really want to try some marbeling but unfortunately I am one of the few that is still doing everything by hand. No power mixers, rod dryers, power wrappers. NOTHING power except my cordless drill which I use to form cork and also to drill out inserts and then to shape (YES it takes forever to do it this way.) Yes, I am being cheap and should really cough up the money to make my life a whole lot easier.

Now, finally to the question. Can I do this by hand??

Sorry it took so long to get to the point.

Tom Kaufmann
SSgt USMC

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 02:30PM

You bet; it's not as easy as with a 2 RPM drier, but can be easily done by hand. I'd start with a pen, though, to get the basics down and the size of the marbling smaller. Then, when you have all of your ducks in a row, you'll be able to get a rod with a longer, larger diameter area done easily. Practice makes perfect, Tom!! :)

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: October 29, 2005 03:07PM

Thanks, Putter!!

I have some scrap blanks laying around that got um..... damaged? OOOPPPPSSSS never put blanks behind doors that you commonly use!!! Oh well at least they were the cheap $6.00 ones from mudhole so I wasn't out too much. I will give it a shot when I get home tonight from work.

once again, thanks to all!!

Tom Kaufmann
SSgt USMC

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 03:30PM

Like Putter said, no power needed. Just makes life a little easier with a couple RPM motor which you can make forabout $5

Mike

Date: October 29, 2005 06:19PM

I guess the main reason I like to do it with the slow motor is that it frees up both hands so that I can support my wrist area with my other hand. It also keeps the blank turning so that the marbling doesn't sag and blend too much; helps make the contrasts that I like in the marbling.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: October 30, 2005 12:14PM

Really?? $5.00?

Wow, that it too good to pass up even for a cheapskate like me!! Mike where did you get them? I tried a small section on some of that scrap that I have and it and am pretty happy with the results but do see how it will be MUCH easier with both hands free. Darn coffee!!! get some wicked shakes after too much expresso, mocha latte stuff. I am thiking I should have just used beer instead.

thanks guys,
Tom Kaufmann
SSgt USMC

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 30, 2005 01:02PM

I believe that Fishsticks 4 U has the motors for around $5
Tom, I sent you an e-mail

Mike

Date: October 30, 2005 01:10PM

I took an old motor out of a humidifier and made mine - over 20 years ago. Still using it; just cost me a bit of my time and some screws, stain, and varnish.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 30, 2005 08:17PM

I recently took a motor from an old microwave oven that was headed for the dump. It rotated between 1 & 2 RPM and should work well for marbelizing (which I haven't tried yet). Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster