I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

six foot 3-4 weight fly rod
Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 08:51PM

I am looking for a lower cost 6' 3-4 weight moderate to moderate slow action fly rod. What do you guys recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: six foot 3-4 weight fly rod
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.8.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 09:03PM

batson's blue RX6? the graphite blanks formerly known as Forecast blanks. i don't think they're exactly slow though. not fast either but fits the low cost category. to maintain low cost, you could try to find a new/old stock fenwick or other fly blank in fiberglass, often seen on a popular internet @#$%& site. jumping up in price could be a modern fiberglass blank from steffen bros, diamondback or lamiglas.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:40PM

how stiff is the St croix SC3 6' 3 weight 3F603 ? does it roll cast well or not?

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:41PM

Batson' s 662-2 RX6 or RX7 are nice slow action blanks that could throw a 3 or 4 weight line fine as long as you aren't trying to cast 50'+

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:55PM

Sevier Tigereye blanks. Neal's Fishing Prod. Some of the very best blanks are around a C note.

Posted by: rusty berrier (---.nclxtn.infoave.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 01:21AM

just to throw in a curve-check out lamiglas 2 pc fiberglass blank-angler's workshop used to have them-very reasonable and nice softaction

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 07:25AM

I agree with Spencer. I made a Tiger Eye 7-1/2' 4pc 3/4 wt and was very surprised at the performance for the money. It does a fair job roll casting, is powerful enough to put out 40' of WF 4wt easily. Landed a 20" raindow on the first outing. I'm a believer in Tiger Eye.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 08:57AM

Josh,
I have a bunch of AllStar Austin 662-2 in stock. They'll handle a 3wt. line just fine. Check my website for details

www.lamarreelseats.com go to the section entitled "closeouts"

regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:10AM

Josh go to Global-Dorbers web site. They sell a three piece 6ft 2-3 and 3-4 wt blank. I built two 3-4 wt rods that I been testing for the last year using 3wt dt line. They are a moderate to slow action rod, you can feel them bend into the handle. They cast well to 30 feet... 50 feet is a bit much. The blanks are very fragile and light, my finished rods weigh 1.5 ounces each... Bob.

Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:03AM

The Tiger Eye 6ft 2pc 3/4 weight should fit the bill nicely. It Roll casts nice, it thrown both line weights very well and look nice to boot. I'm surprized I don't hear more about them, they are really nice rods for the money.

My $.02 worth

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.225.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 11:27AM

I would go with the TIGER-EYE BLANKS from Sevier Mfg... A sponsor on the left !!!!!!!!

Very good blanks for the money... and have been compaired to very pricey blanks.... in terms of casting and general preformance..

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 01:02PM

I'll second the recommendation of the 6 ft 2/3 wt (That's it....not the 3/4)) Tiger Eye.

Mine handles the 4 wt line on it beautiully. A nice looking rod, too. I think it is supposed to CC out to 3.9..or something like that.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster