I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need some "guide-ance"
Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:02PM

I've built several rods now (fly & casting) but casting guide style and size still are a mystery to me. My rod building skill level has progressed to the point where my buddies want me to build their rods. We have ordered three Cascade Composites IST1265F-G 10'6" MH casting rods from Mud Hole. Each rod will have the Vetre Matrix 14" casting handle. The rods will be used for salmon/steelhead in Oregon.

One of my previous built rods was spiral wrapped. My buddies like and understand the concept so they want these new rods to be spiraled. My RodMaker subscription inadvertently lapsed so I missed the bumper article and need to order the back issue. My current SW rod is 8'6" and has two transisition guides between the 0 and 180 guide.

The Mud Hole service rep recommended using Fuji BNLG and then working down to BLVLG. My question to you folks, the experts, is what size, how many and progression of guides to you recommend?

If I err I'd rather order too many guides than be a couple short.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need some "guide-ance"
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:07PM

If you are going to build a rod for a friend, at least put Alconites on tehre instead of Hardaloy. Lighter, more corrosion resistant steel is used in the frame, better ring material as well,a lthogh that probably doesnt' matter as much as people would like us to believe.

I would think BLNAG or CLNAG's would be the way to go. I don't have any idea on sizes.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:21PM

For the $$....the Alconites like Billy suggested ARE the way to go.

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2005 08:52PM

If you're spiral wrapping these, I'd dump the BLVLG single foot style and move to the fly rod single foot style such as the BLG or Alconite similar. You don't need high frame guides once you move the line under the blank. Might as well keep it close and the lower profile guides will take a bit more abuse anyway.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 09:01PM

Hi Mike,
The ring size and height of your butt and stripper guides would depend on the type of casting reel that will be used. A larger higher framed
reel like a Shimano Catala 300 will require a higher framed guide while a lower palming style like the Shimano Curado will allow you to
use a lower framed and smaller ringed guide to start with. Start with a #12 double foot then a #10 double foot and the rest #8's single foot
to the tip-top.
The easiest way to build a "simple spiral" rod is to just place the guides on top like a standard type casting rod and stress test as normal
then rotate all the guides except the butt guide to the bottom and place the "bumper guide" at 90* in the middle between the butt and the
stripper guides.

My 2 cents

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 28, 2005 09:28PM

IMO, these style and sizes of guides are inexpensive enough that it's worth it to just order a bunch of various styles and sizes. That way, you'll have enough on hand to freely choose the guides that work best during your layout & loading test. You'll use the leftovers on the next rods you build for you and your buddies. IMO, Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2005 09:38PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:35PM

Mike,
Tom is absolutely right that after the guides are on the bottom of the rod the lower profile guides are a better choice as they will result is lower torque.
You might also want to look at other guides rather than the Fuji. Look at the Zerconium guides from Batson or Amtak. The Zerconium guides are more attractive, in my judgement, than Fuji Alconite, they are harder so they wear better, they are less expensive, and they have titanium frames or titanium plated frames so they will resist rust better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster