I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Green Blanks
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 05:08PM

I'm getting ready to build fly rods on an American Tackle AMF804 4wt, and a St. Croix 4F904.2 4wt. Both are green blanks. I plan to wrap with no trim bands, no CP, and am wondering what color besides Green thread will compliment the blank. I'd like to hear what others have used that they liked. I want to stay away from metallics, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Blanks
Posted by: Bryan Burbank (66.0.239.---)
Date: October 28, 2005 05:47PM

i have wrapped a pac bay green blank with black thread no cp...turned out really nice...
good luck with your build bryan...

Posted by: Leon Mack (67.99.3.---)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:03PM

I like a med-dark gray or maybe a gun metal gray with green.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:16PM

I've done browns ( 541 Med Brown ,5274 Chestnut), 206 garnet, and 340 gold. My son had me do one in his favorite color purple that looks surprisingly good. (Gudebrod silk)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:25PM

Bryan:

Depends on what you want. Fade-into-the-background wraps may include green wraps with single inlaid threads of green metalic or white or gold. Complementary color wraps may include green as primary wrap and red trim bands. Triadic wraps may include rust as a primary wrap with medium purple trim band or inlaid thread. The sky's the limit. Suggest you look at color wheels to try color combinations before you wrap. Also remember that if you do not use color preserver, the threads will become translucent and let the backbround color though and effectively darken them.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:27PM

I second the Garnet thread on a green blank with no CP. It turns a very dark almost candy apple red and looks great.

Jim Smith

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: October 28, 2005 06:32PM

i've used medium green gudebrod A thread with NCP A white for very thin trim wraps. the NCP leave sthe white thread nice and crisp, a nice subtle contrast. no liquid color preserver neds to be aplied.

eric
fresno,ca.

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 08:14PM

Garnet with no cp looks stunning on a green blank.

Plain old red looks good too.

Green wraps with red or garnet trim is yet another option.

Many other combinations too. One of my favorite schemes is to use wraps that match the blank with metallic wraps that also match. In other words, green wraps with metallic green trim on a green blank.

Kev

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 09:29PM

Kevin stole my thunder. When matching the thread to the blank, doing the "disappearing" wrap, I like a very thin band , 1 or 2 wraps, of metalic thread, either gold or silver for me. To hide the metal thread while under the "see thru" color thread, I slide it under the guide foot and start the wrap right at the end of the foot. Looks nice.

Tim

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:29PM

Garnet Garnet garnet. Of course with a trim band of you choice. I had a green blank and stumbled around for about a month and ended up using green just because I already owned a blank of green and garnet. If I had the choice to do it again, garnet would be my choice. Good wraps!

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 11:21PM

Besides what has been mentioned for a flashier look try a metallic brown or copper in Sulky thread. Copper makes a great trim band for the forest grren thread.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 08:19AM

Since my plan is to be instructing a group of first time builders, we won't get into trim wraps. I like the garnet concept. I'm going to do a test wrap. I plan to give the students a few choices for color when they start to build. Green, garnet, red. Thanks, all.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: October 29, 2005 08:30AM

If you can -- make your self up a test stick.

A scrap piece of blank the same color if possible, put these colors on it apply some clear -- take a look outside when dry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2005 09:26AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 09:16AM

Garnet without CP looks great,as do most of the browns(brown and green go together wonderfully) and gold(340,which looks kind of like a honey color and is the color that Sage uses on their green XP blanks I believe).

One of my favorites for green,grey,and brown blanks is the black/orange Classic Twist without CP.The orange turns into more of a medium brown with a just hint of orange to it,and the black seems to look more like a dark brown.Overall it kind of looks like wood grain,and it goes great with a medium to dark burl wood insert.It looks unique enough that you don't need trim,but metallic gold,and especially metallic copper go great with it.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 29, 2005 10:12AM

I used blue dunn on a StCroix fly rod I made, was really a very nice look to it

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 31, 2005 01:41AM

Garnet with a narrow Copper Matallic trim band on a green blank. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster