I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver/Wrap Finish Compatibility
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 11:00PM

I'm about ready to order my first rod building kit which comes with FlexCoat finish/adhesives. I would like to use a color preserver (which is not included) for the wraps but cannot find one made by FlexCoat available from where I am ordering, but they do offer both Trondak and Gudebrod CP.

Can anyone tell me if there is any problem with using a color preserver made by either of those two companies with the FlexCoat Rod Wrapping Lite Finish? Or, any other combination of companies product with others for that matter?

Or, is it better to stick with one company's whole finish/adhesive product line for all rod building?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver/Wrap Finish Compatibility
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 26, 2005 11:06PM

There won't be any compatibility problems, Ralph.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Anderson (209.64.87.---)
Date: October 27, 2005 07:14AM

You can also consider building it without any CP. hint hint.

Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.dhs.gov)
Date: October 27, 2005 04:45PM

There will be no issues with compatibility but just to piggy back on Mike Anderson's comment; depending on what colors you use, regular thread can look very attracive when no CP is used, it becomes whats called "traslucent" or semitrasparent. Reds and garnets in particular look very well over pearl or metallic thread, it kind of looks like stained glass. Try to use a light color or metallic on the bottom and a dark color on top. Just a suggestion.

Posted by: Nick Doben (---.puyallup.k12.wa.us)
Date: October 27, 2005 06:55PM

So far, nobody has mentioned NCP thread. When I'm using white, or very light colors, I like to use NCP.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2005 10:27AM

Jason Alvarado Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There will be no issues with compatibility but
> just to piggy back on Mike Anderson's comment;
> depending on what colors you use, regular thread
> can look very attracive when no CP is used, it
> becomes whats called "traslucent" or
> semitrasparent. Reds and garnets in particular
> look very well over pearl or metallic thread, it
> kind of looks like stained glass. Try to use a
> light color or metallic on the bottom and a dark
> color on top. Just a suggestion.

Soundes like a very interesting effect but, like I said, this is my first rod and I have absolutely no experience with even wrapping once yet, let alone wrapping on top of another wrap. I will keep it in mind for a future rod though. The "stained glass" look sounds nice. Have you ever tried this effect with using CP on the bottom thread and none on the top? Or, vice versa? Just curious.

Thanks to all for responding to my initial question.

Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.dhs.gov)
Date: October 28, 2005 12:21PM

Ralph, I rarely use CP. I have used it once but it was because I wanted a particular color and couldnt find it in NCP thread. If I am going for the stained glass look I usually use a metallic and regular thread and the Flex Coat on top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster